Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
I am a 26y female with a history of health anxiety. I am guessing that all of my concerns right now are just related to health anxiety and not ALS, but I am wondering if it is worth seeing a doctor for further evaluation, or whether I should just let this go.

I have diffuse muscle fasciculations, probably over 100 per day, mostly located in my quads, hamstrings, and calves, but occasionally in my back muscles or arms as well. I know fasciculations alone do not signify ALS. I am not sure about the weakness aspect. I exercise regularly and haven't noticed any issues there. One thing that caught my concern was I noticed when I stand with my legs straight, I am able to contract my quads on the right but not the left. When I place my hands on my knee caps and try to contract my quads, I can feel my right knee cap move up as the muscles tighten, but nothing happens on the left no matter how hard I try. I'm not sure if this is due to weakness or something else.

Is it worth seeing a doctor, or should I focus instead on finding a therapist to deal with my health anxiety?

Thank you in advance.

It is always worthwhile to see a doctor, even by video, if you feel you need a baseline for your strength and to make sure that the absent contraction isn't worth further exploration. I'm see no reason to be concerned about ALS, though.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back