Status
Not open for further replies.

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi, thanks for having a space i can post this without intruding too much. Im 25M and have been having some worrying symptoms that have recently geared up. ill try to be concise about them. They started about 3 months ago but have really ramped up lately.

I have a lot of weakness feeling on my left side, arm/hand and leg/foot. My hand feels very weak, its like a sensation of weakness. Its not numbness (there is occasional numbness because i can feel it just feels very odd. It extends into my shoulder sometimes and my eblow but the hand is where i feel weak like i cant pick things up (though i can still do that). Typing this out takes work which it never did before.

On my leg and foot i have a strong sensation thats similarly hard to describe. Its like its heavy down the back of it. my foot feels weird as well, i can lift it off the ground and walk on it ok, but walking on my heels is very hard to do for more then a step. tho i can get the front of both feet up, its feels like there is resistance on the left one as opposed to the right. There is also a feelign in my left foot when i do it that isnt in my right, its easy on that one There is pain in that leg down the back of it and in the foot after i do anything as well, though pain isnt really the right word, more just a sensation. I have twitching as well in these areas, particularly after i use them.

I have some numbness in my face as well, and talking is difficult sometimes. Its like it takes work to talk which isnt normal. Sometimes i get slipped up on the words or trip over them which never happened before. Ive been very tired on top of that. All of these things seem to get progressively worst which of course causes anxiety which cant help. Thank you

Hi, doesn't sound like ALS at all, but I'd check your positioning on your pillow, mattress, work chair and couch, even your car if you drive a lot. Numbness and weird feelings on one side all the way down can often be traced to needing to make a change in respect to one or more support surfaces. Stretching morning and night may also help. If you lose function, then of course it's time to see a doc.

Best,
Laurie

thanks for the response and advice its greatly appreciated. two questions about symptoms that confused me if i can and then ill stop taking up time. My left arm and leg muscles seem smaller then right side now, but thats just basing that off myself feeling them. would weakness always come before any type of muscle wasting? second is i keep saying weakness, and while it feels weak i can still do most things though they seem harder, would weakness not be the correct word to use if i go see a neuro? thanks again

In ALS weakness precedes atrophy / wasting because the muscles atrophy from continued lack of or limited function.

when you go to the doctor you can describe your symptom using your own words. I am sure they have heard it before. Qualifying I feel weak with I can still do things as you did makes it clearer and they can and will ask more questions if they need to. Saying that whole thing is much clearer than saying my arm is weak. If there is anything you can not do give an example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back