Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hi all. Wanted to say hello and express how much respect I have for everyone here after reading through many posts in which people were helping and reassuring others. It's heart warming to see.

Over the past three weeks I have developed muscle weakness, twitching and fatigue. Starting in both hands, I was finding it harder to grip things, feeling weak as I held a book to read. then moving up over the past few days towards my forearms, upper arms and shoulders. I can still hold things, pick things up etc but it feels noticeably more difficult, to the point where I'm noticing it every time I use my hands or arms, like I'm straining more. I can feel subtle twitches in the hands mostly and often in the arms too. In recent days I have also noticed slight twitching and weakness in my feet/legs, along with muscle tightness in calves. I am really worried, it feels unlike anything I've felt before.

If anybody could shed some light that would be so reassuring. Does ALS ever progress this way? I have read it begins usually in one localized area and then spreads slowly. Can it start showing symptoms in multiple places at once? I have a doctors appointment booked but its not for another couple weeks as its hard to get them quickly here.

Thank you all.

You’re correct that ALS tends to start in one a region and spread over time. You’ve only had symptoms for a few weeks and in multiple areas, so that points away from ALS. Twitching is also very common and nonspecific.

So, yes, see your doctor. Have them check thyroid and vitamin D levels. Meanwhile, make sure you’re well-hydrated. If you’ve been drinking a lot of alcohol, scale way back or stop. Are you on statin drugs for cholesterol? If so, they can also be associated with weakness.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much for your response. I am not on statins, and don't believe my alcohol intake has been excessive..

Is it just unlikely for it to happen this way or are my experiences completely out of the picture for ALS?

Matt, it's not the normal pattern of symptoms associated with ALS. Particularly in such short of a time period. Is there a reason you have not visited with a doctor to look for the source of your symptoms? That would be the logical first step- particularly now you have been pointed away from ALS.

Matt has stated he already has an appointment booked, which I think we all agree is the best approach.

Matt, this can be anything, most likely from lost sleep to a virus to nothing, but do let us know what your physician says.

Best,
Laurie

Whoops, missed that. Apologies.

Hi all

Have seen the doctor and been given the all clear. I think the weakness and twitching in my arms was RSI from a new job that I've recently got (lots and lots of typing) compounded by a great deal of anxiety. Wanted to say thank you to you all for being here and putting my mind at rest when I was upsetting myself over this. I'm sure you get many newbies on the forum who are scared stiff over one symptom or another, and it's very kind of you to spend your time here reassuring and educating people. Thanks again

Thanks for the update, Matt. Others find it very helpful. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back