Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi, I am a 21 year old female who has been having very worrisome symptoms.

it all started with these cold sensations And some tingling that I would get in my arms, legs, and head. At the same time I developed twitching all over my body.the cold sensations have since gone but I am still twitching and I think it’s getting worse. I also get my myclonic jerks occasionally.

I have seen a neurologist and my clinical was normal except for a positive Hoffman sign on my right hand. This is what worries me the most because now I have LMN sign of twitching and UMN sign of Hoffman sign.

I am sick with worry, my neuro did not seem concerned, but I insisted I get re examined, which I will be on Monday.

are these symptoms concerning?

Your statement about widespread twitching being an LMN damage sign is incorrect, and that kind of twitching points the other direction from ALS.

The rest of what you describe has nothing to do with ALS, either. But cold sensations can be a sign that your body is fighting off a virus, or that you are recovering from one.

You don't need to be here.

Best,
Laurie

I would suggest you start by reading here. Great news is your neurologist is probably pretty smart and knows what to look for objectively.

Your symptoms don't sound the least bit concerning I can assure you of that.

Everything I have read says that a unilateral positive Hoffman is usually a worrisome finding

Findings are only important in the context of the overall clinical situation. An isolated Hoffman’s sign is just that.

Keep in mind that what is important when it comes to diagnosing ALS is the big picture: clinical weakness as determined by a physician, characteristic EMG changes in multiple muscle areas, upper motor neuron signs, evidence of disease progression, and ruling out ALS mimics.

It’s reassuring your neurologist wasn’t worried. Nor should you be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back