Not open for further replies.

Charlieee120593

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi guys sorry to bother all, worried I’ve got ALS, arounf three weeks ago after some serious stress and anxiety I started getting twitches/spasms all over my body and made the mistake of going into Google and seeing what it could be, I’m dreading it could be ALS…

it first started out as whole body twitches and would go from my right bicep to my left leg and from left leg to right tricep etc and now it’s mainly happening in my calf’s and thighs with occasional foot as well, Im in the dreaded anxiety phase of doing balance tests and strength tests all day and all seems fine, I can lift heavy at the gym, Bike and run and climb stairs etc, that being said there’s something I can’t shake about these twitches the only thing i couldn’t find on the internet was that they only happen when I’m ag rest, if I’m out walking or being busy or at the gym they don’t happen but as soon as I rest is when they start up and the anxiety I have from it is making things worse I’m sure,

I have a doctors appointment booked for next week and gonna ask for an EMG but just scared in the mean time, anwyay any general advice would be appreciated. I do have Graves’ disease (over active thyroid) but my levels are in the normal zone so don’t see how it can be that, sorry to bother and thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read this before you posted?

I do not recommend you go to your doctor asking for an EMG.
Go to your doctor, tell your symptoms, get a physical exam. Then ASK what the doctor thinks could be happening and what the doctor thinks is the best next step.

You start saying, I think I have ALS, and I want an EMG, and you start the doctor talking about this and saying they can't guarantee you don't have it but will do this or come back if that. Then you post here freaking out that the doctor wouldn't say you 100% don't.

Honestly - twitching means NOTHING. Hundreds of things that are likely to be causing this are what you should leave to your highly qualified doctor to work on.

Please don't post now until you have been to the doctor as we can't possibly say any more about what is going on by your text description. In the meantime, stay hydrated, get lots of sleep, regular exercise and eat well. Take up some relaxation strategies.
All the best, not long til you see a doctor and start getting back to health.

You have it all pegged. You start twitching for probably a mix of reasons, anxiety makes it worse from both sides, and you notice it at rest when you think about it.

Even with normal levels, thyroid can play a role as well because of the effects of levels that go up and down more than other people's. It saps energy. Making sure you are resting up, getting enough sleep, eating right, staying hydrated, stretching, exercising, and doing fun things are all defences against its really taking over your life. When you are tempted to self-test, go for a walk or a coffee at an outdoor café instead. The person best able to address all this is you.

I am sure the exam will be reassuring.

Hi there, sorry for sounding a little naive, I did go to the doctor already and they tested my magnesium and calcium levels and both were fine, their next step is to see if it is anxiety causing it, and then there’ll be a next step after that if that isn’t the cause, I appreciate your reply, thank you

Mg and Ca blood levels are kind of a blunt instrument. Experimenting judiciously with diet (and a drop or two of Mg lotion on hot spots) does no harm. Glad to hear you are on a logical path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back