Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
City
loganville
Hello everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have been having symptoms for about a month now and of course Dr. Google has me convinced that I have ALS. I am a 43 year old female . About a month ago, I noticed my arms to feel "heavy" I am a teacher and also noticed that sometimes when i went to grab a pen or marker it took me a minute to get my grip on it. My fingers/hand felt numb/weak. I would feel like my hands and legs were going to sleep--pins and needles sensation. I went to the PCP who did blood work. Everything came out normal except my vitamin D was low-normal (36) They have put me on vit D supplements. The PCP referred me to a neurologist for peace of mind. The neurologist did brain and neck MRI which showed mild degenerative changes in the neck and multilevel mild pinched nerves. I asked if I needed an EMG and they said since it was mild degenerative changes they would suggest EMG for better diagnosis.. The EMG is not scheduled until Oct 20 and my anxiety is through the roof. I have noticed random quick twitches in my legs and biceps (usually when I lay down at night) I don't have the pins and needles sensation as much anymore. Sometimes it feels like both my arms are shaking ( like when your muscles are overworked) for no reason. If i try and blow dry my hair my right arm is very shaky during and afterwards. If i bend my arm up like showing off my bicep muscle and try and flex the whole arm visibly shakes. when i lift my fork of food to my mouth you can see the fork shaking. I am still able to lift things and use my arms they (mainly right) just feel very shaky like the nerves are misfiring or something. Some days the symptoms are better than others. Any thoughts on these symptoms? I suffer from health anxiety so this is making me obsess even more on these symptoms. Thank you for your time and input.

Hi there! I have PLS. One symptom of PLS is spasticity (tightness) in the muscles. I’m affected on my left side (leg and arm/hands). I do get shaking in that area due to the tight muscles when I move them in a certain way. I also have clinical weakness on that side. Was your doctor able to verify if you had weakness at all? As far as pins and needles, that’s usually not a symptom of ALS or is any sensation. You will have a much better idea after your appointment on the 20th. Be sure to come back after that and let us know how it went! Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for replying. The dr did not determine any weakness at the visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back