Not open for further replies.

GwenMJ

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Thank you for reading. I've been having twitching in my muscles for a few months. It started in my left arm but now it happens often in my left calf muscle and other parts of my body.. I notice it more at rest. My legs also cramp at night before I go to sleep. Last week I noticed that I have excess saliva and a feeling of mucus in back of my throat which I can't get rid of. I can still speak and swallow without problems at the moment. I went to see my GP two weeks ago and she did the tests which were all fine. She sent me for a blood test and all OK. She has refered me to a neurologist, which has made me worried. Do these sound like early warning signs of ALS? Thank you again for taking your time to read my post.

No, they do not. Widespread twitching, for example, argues against ALS.

The feeling in your throat is often down to dry weather, allergies, and/or a dirty furnace filter. It can also make sleep less refreshing, which in turn can affect how your muscles respond. Thus, a nasal steroid and/or dry throat spray, cough drop, and drinking more liquids may help. I am sure your GP is being cautious in referring you.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for taking your time to reply. I know something isn't quite right, but I'll have to wait and see what the neurologist will say. The twitching happens daily but in different parts of my body, something is causing them but I'll try not to worry so much. Thanks again.

I'm still waiting for an appointment with a neurologist, it might take a while with the health service under strain with Covid.
I'm still experiencing the twitching daily.
Lately my right thumb has started to feel stiff, expecially when doing normal everyday things like cleaning etc. Also I have a weird stiff feeling in my right calf muscle thats been present for a couple of weeks. I get leg cramps often. Im making myself ill with the worrying... I can't help but feel that something is going on. Sorry for posting again and thank you for reading.

I would keep trying solutions such as the above. There are few people in these times who cannot benefit from more sleep, less stress, more stretching and walking. If your thumb gets stiff, stop and wiggle all your fingers, etc. You are typically your own best clinician in these things.

Thank you for your reply. I'm trying my best not to worry but it's proving to be quite difficult. I'm obviously thinking now that my thumb stiffness is a symptom as is my leg cramps. Waiting for a doctors appointment is really hard.

I know of no one whose key presenting symptom was either a stiff thumb or leg, or cramps. As stated in the stickies, this isn't about how you feel, but that you fail.

Thank you for your reply. I contacted my GP to ask him if I could see a neurologist sooner, but he told me there's no need and for me to wait. I'm finding it hard to wait. My arms have now started to feel weak when I hold things for example my hair dryer or phone. My legs still cramp and ache too. I know I might be over thinking but I honestly think there is something definitely not right.

Gwen, posting here any further will not accomplish anything until you
are seen by your Neurologist. We have had hundreds of people anxious
waiting for a Neuro appointment. You are not unique by any number.

Anxiety amplifies symptoms and those that are not related to ALS,
pretty much yours.

I suggest you re-read Igelb's (Laurie) above your post.

You can help yourself by not searching posts that concern ALS.

The big clue in your favor is that your GP told you "There's no need."
In others words... he/she doesn't see anything concerning to prompt
an earlier appointment.

Until then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back