Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NK
City
Brooklyn
Hello, firstly thank you for reading my post. I will outline my symptoms, it all started September 2020 my right shoulder started hurting then my arm, forearm, wrist and then my thumb, index finger and palm of hand. I don't believe I have any muscle weakness it does hurt to lift things. My arm feels heavy and burning. My wrist and fingers keeps clicking when moved. I can still move my right arm. I did slso have tingling in my left knee and sonetimes my feet. I am 49 female.

The reason for my question is that our mum passed awsy 1 October 2020 she was 72, and was diagnosed when she was 69. During mums illness I was very worried abd sad.

ALS begins with focal painless weakness. Your pain without loss of function is not a symptoms any more than your previous symptoms were bulbar.

i am sorry for your loss.

Hi and thank you for reading my post. Our mother was diagnosed with ALS in 2018 amd passed away in October 2020 she was 72 and has 2 sisters who are all health. My question is should we ne at all worried about ALS running in the family? Mums neurologist said that her ALS was sporadic as both sides of the family didn't have any cases. My nana was one of 11 lived until she was 94 and great nana lived until 85. No family members had the disease. My mums dad passed at 62 from septicaemia was one of 8 and no cases. My question does ALS miss a generation? Mum didn't have any genetic tests as her neurologist said it wasn't needed as no other family members had been affected.

Since mums diagnoses snd passing my own health has been worrisome over the last 3 months my shoulder, neck, elbow, wrist, thumb, and index finger have been really sore. My thumb has had some fluctuations, burning feeling down my forearm, this is all on my right side. I don't think I have any weakness although it hurts to pick things up sometimes. I know I have been extremely stressed for the last 2 years caring for mum and everything that goes with the disease.

Also can sporadic ALS turn into FALS.

Thank you all for your time.
Anita

Hello-

I have moved your post to your already existing thread. Please continue to post in this thread only.

Your previous thread from last May is here to ensure all info is in one place: Concerned

Nikki's earlier response to you still stands. There is no reason for concern about familial or sporadic ALS in your case. Please stay in touch with your primary care physician, and if you are still unduly stressed about caring for your mum and everything that went with it, I encourage you to seek counseling, even by video.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie for your reply, I did go an see my primary care physician and they have referred me to a neurologist which I probably wont be able to get in until April, the doctor also took bloods and still waiting for the results., which has now really scared me. I told them about mums diagnosis. To add to my symptoms I noticed my right collarbone and rib sticking out, this is where most of the pain is coming from, is this muscle weakness making them stick out? I remember mum had bad shoulder pain for a very long time before she was diagnosed, her should blade protruded for many years. My left three toes started to twitch. I have read also on the forum that a lot of PALS has pain before they had weakness is this correct? I don't want to be annoying just really scared, I do have a 10 year boy. I look forward to hearing your wisdom and advice for me to put my mind at ease. Also is it likely for a family member to be diagnosed so close together. Not sure if I mentioned the neurologist put mums diagnosis down to environmental, although I haven't lived in the same place as mum for 30years. Regards Anita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back