00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Elk Grove
Hello all ,
Thank you for allowing me to post my thread and ask my questions as I have been struggling with some anxiety over these issues and I appreciate every last one of you here ,
, thank you .

A bit of background , I’m a 22 year old African American female no family history of ALS and nobody in family as far as I know with ALS , so a few weeks ago I started experiencing muscle cramps in my calves . I thought nothing of it at first , but than I started feeling twitches in my buttocks , my arms , my shoulders , and calves as well as hands , feet and eyelids . I have also been experiencing sharp pains in my legs and arms as well as a very stiff neck and pain in my shoulders . Of course dr google has scared me half to death .

A few days ago actually within the last week I have been feeling weak in my right arm and leg . Yesterday I’ve noticed that while trying to eat I was having a hard time bringing the fork to my mouth , I could preform the action but it was exhausting . I will note that I do have a job where I have to use my right hand to preform the same task repetitively And maybe this is the reason for my right arm weakness but nevertheless I’m afraid .

I might make mention of the fact that a month ago I was having a headache that would not go away with any kind of medicine and bouts of vision loss so I had to go to the er where they referred me to an ophthalmologist who confirmed that my optic nerve was swollen and from there I had to have a spinal tap but there was no confirmed pressure increase so I’m still waiting on a neurology consult . The vision loss cleared with the spinal tap as well as the headache but I’m concerned that the twitches and aches are related to the papilldema ( optic nerve swelling ) and I’m wondering if these could be early ALS symptoms . Thank you for any kind of reply . Thank you again .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fierce. I don’t believe you have ALS. For one thing, ALS doesn’t come on as rapidly as you describe. Sharp pains and feeling weak have nothing to do with ALS. The headache and papiledema also are from something else.

Given your young age and African-American heritage, make sure you are checked over for lupus and for sarcoidosis, both of which are inflammatory conditions and can affect the optic nerve.

Let us know how things go after the neurology appointment.

A repetitive motion injury seems like a strong possibility. Pain can radiate, irritate muscles, cause twitches and of course it all feeds on each other. You might also consider how you are standing or sitting while doing this motion, and maybe get evaluated ergonomically. You might need different working conditions and/or PT.

The headache does not seem related but certainly should be followed up with a neuro as you are doing.

I don't see any relationship with ALS.

Best,
Laurie

okay thank you both ,I will follow up with neurology results .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back