US
State
MI
City
MIDLAND
Hello,

I am worried that I might have ALS.

I am a 27 year old female.

My first symptoms began about 1 month ago with weakness in my arms. About 12 days ago I began having twitching throughout my body. The twitching began everywhere including, arms, legs, hands, back, stomach, butt. Over the last two days it seems to be localized in my legs. More specifically my calve area. Sometimes they feel like small muscle spasms and other times they feel like small vibrations. I cannot get into a neurologist for a few weeks. I am very anxious about what this might be. I did have the flu but the twitching began about 4 days before the flu hit me.

ALS doesn’t come on as fast as you’ve described.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless. It could be something as simple as stress or dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.

Make sure you’re well-hydrated and see your primary doctor if you have concerns.

I had bloodwork which was all clear and showed no deficiencies and an MRI which was clear. I say my primary doctor and they referred me to the neurologist. I also feel like my hands are cramping.

It could be that you are having issues with your joints. Also, you mentioned having flu-like symptoms after the twitching started. Sometimes viral infections can manifest with systemic symptoms including cramps and twitching.

In any case, your post does not suggest ALS.

I’m sure the neurologist will corroborate that opinion and hopefully provide you with other answers.

I have also had hand cramping/pain and my wrists, shoulders and ankles seem to be cracking more than normal. Are any of these associated with ALS that I should be worried about?

No. The cracking and pain in and around joints is more suggestive of a musculoskeletal problem. This is not ALS.

Keep working with your doctors. You do not have ALS.

We will leave the thread open so you can report back after you have seen the neurologist. Otherwise there is no need for you to keep posting as there is really nothing more we can tell you.

I know you said not to post again until after I have results from my appointment, but I have been having severe pain in my hands. It seems similar to carpal tunnel pain. The pain is along the palm of the pinky and the thumb. Is there any chance that this could be associated with ALS? I have found some studies that state patients with ALS have gotten carpal tunnel after their diagnosis. My appointment is not until April 16th and that seems like a long time to wait for answers.

Hi there- while we completely understand how hard it is to wait, it does you no good to continue adding things to your list of concerns here. Your appointment is in 10 days- when you will have a thorough exam and you can give your list to your neurologist and you can sk them, as they examine you, what your symptoms mean.

Please understand that remaining here only serves to increase your anxiety, as you are very focused on a disease that a very experienced member has assured you does not present as you have reported. Please let us know how your appointment goes in 10 day.

Best wishes

Today I saw a Sports Medicine Doctor and he performed an EMG on my legs. He saw no abnormalities and suggested my symptoms may be due to having the flu. He did not perform the EMG on my arms. He was very calming and said ALS is likely not the cause of my symptoms. My neurology appointment is still scheduled for next week.

My hand and wrist pain is getting worse and it is in my left hand and right hand. I also feel like my neck is really heavy and achy. Can anyone please help me determine if this might be ALS. Would the ALS hand pain be in both hands and wrists? I am really worried as I have not felt like myself in over a month. I really need some answers.

Okay, that's enough now. You have been told you don't have ALS symptoms by knowledgeable members her and by a doc who has examined you and given you an EMG. You have an appointment scheduled with a neurologist next week. You have been asked not to post until after your neuro appointment and yet you continue to post about pain. Once again, I will say to you that pain is not a presenting symptom in ALS. You are simply not describing ALS in any way. You must wait till after your neuro appointment and make a conscious decision to accept the results, which includes NOT having ALS. In the meantime, please talk to your doc about addressing your anxiety.
No need to reply back until AFTER your neuro appt.
Best wishes,
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back