Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Charlotte
Hello, Thank you in advance to anyone who responsds. I’m worried to the point of severe panic, not sleeping or eating about my husband. He’s been to his pcp had labs that were normal for Lyme and vitamin deficiency, being referred to Neurology.
Symptoms: Does this sound like it could be ALS
-On and off Bilateral mainly calf cramps with muscle twitching , other locations at times
-Tingling sensation in waves over calf’s, legs and right arm (one) on and off for 3 months
-general fatigue
-Transient visual disturbance 10-15 min duration past 6 weeks (may not be related)
Normal reflexes
Equivocal babinski - this has scared me

The hallmark for ALS is clinical weakness. Much of what your post sounds sensory/feeling. Not how ALS presents.

I'm sure the neuro will figure it out. I think it will help your anxiety to stay off ALS forums and the Internet, in general.

Thank you for the quick reply. The muscle twitches, cramps and questionable babinskis have sent me into an ALS tailspin. He original went to see his GP for extremity tingling and the visual disturbance, but now he has times with the cramps and twitching as well in his calves. It did start when he was under stress at work. I’m terrified. Do you really think this points away from ALS?

Thank you again. I’m very sorry about asking these questions. I have read the sticky, thank you. One more question please. does anyone know what could cause the babinski reflex to be vague or unreadable to the clinician? Doesn’t the indicate a problem in the brain? My husband does have some nerve damage from previous herniated disc? Could that elicite a hard to interpret babinski?

I’m praying for everyone on this forum. God bless.

The Babinski sign can relate to brain and/or spinal cord issues and is certainly not specific to ALS. I agree that your husband sounds like he has something else.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you all who responded. His symptoms do sound more MS. I am still fearful he has ALS but He tells me no weakness, he’s reflexes are fine. But the fascultations and calve cramp symptoms are worrying me. Sometimes he also jerks around in his sleep, has been doing that for years and over the summer he had 2 episodes ofextremely stiff neck where he couldn’t turn it from side to side that took 2 weeks of PT to clear up. Could this be a sign of ALS? I’m sorry to bother anyone just looking for opinion. Thank you

If the neck improved with PT, it’s not ALS.

Thank you very much to all that responded. Thank you for taking the time. As my anxiety about this being ALS is very bad. Thanks again.

The fantastic thing is that nothing you've described is ALS indicative. So why is your anxiety about ALS so very bad? Please let the fear of your husband having ALS go to the way side. The time now is to concentrate on what IS going on with your husband and that means working on the correct path to diagnosis with the right medical professionals.

Good luck to you both. Take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back