00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Leeds
Hi all,

I have some concerns and looking for opinions (not advice) from some people more knowledgeable and not google!

I have been having discomfort and constant aching in my right hand for well over a week now. It’s mainly in my thumb, between that and my finger but the whole hand is aching (there is no associated injury that’s happened). I am also finding that I’m getting random tight feelings in other parts of my body, mainly my biceps and calves, both sides of my body.
In addition I am getting random muscle twitches.
By random I mean the odd one twitch in different parts of my body (I’ll have one in my calf, then one on my bum (sorry) and so on). They don’t happen often but a few times a day.

I know that ALS/MND usually manifests on one side of the body but having symptoms all over, does that mean progression is quick?
I have no weakness or muscle loss, whilst my hand feels a little weak, it isn’t and I can still do everything.

Im just curious if this sounds like it could be the start of ALS?

Widespread twitching and localized aching are not an ALS picture, no. And you are correct to note that when you can still do everything, you're not clinically weak, the hallmark of ALS.

I would see someone if the hand pain persists. There could be an unappreciated injury or other problem, the pain from which could be manifesting as random twitches.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for replying.
I will monitor my hand and see someone if it persists. It is definitely an ache rather than pain, almost like I’ve slept on it wrong...but for ages!
Just seems strange that everything started at around the same time which is what led me to question.
I also didn’t know if aching alone was a symptom...but then I started to get tight feelings in muscles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back