00/0000
Country
AU
State
WA
City
Perth
Hi, this is my first post.

I am posting on here out of genuine care for my own health, and to get some guidance because at the moment I am very worried. I’m quite an active 26 year old male who for the last 2 months has been experiencing a variety of symptoms which have links to ALS/MND. The symptoms started after I had a panic attack on a 5 hour plane flight and required an oxygen mask. About 30 hours before this I had been drinking with friends and at the end of the night I snorted some MDMA, something I deeply regret. I’m not a big drug user and I am usually quite a fit and healthy person. I went home and slept for around 4 hours that night and then slept on a little the next day before sleeping the next night for 6 hours or so.

Ever since I got off the plane after the panic attack I haven’t felt the same. I had another 13 hour overseas flight the next day and was on holiday for a month. Over this time I experienced another couple of panic attacks, and persistent weakness in my legs as well as pins and needles, dizziness and tremors. Since then the pins and needles have subsided and I’m left with Muscle weakness, muscle loss and fasciculations that don’t stop in my calf muscles. I feel stiff and am having trouble walking at times because I feel weak and fatigued. I am also getting a burning sensation on the top of my head.

I have had a brain mri, blood tests and a chest x Ray. All of which came back clear. I’m waiting on the results of an EEG test and a blood enzyme test to see if my muscle is breaking down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am quite scared that I might have MND/ALS and am unable to function normally, each day feels like a month at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to read this and once again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read this if you have not already done so

You’re not describing ALS. ALS does not start abruptly and would have clinical weakness detection by a physician, not perceived weakness. Trouble walking “at times” points away from ALS. Once ALS presents, the functional losses are permanent and progressive. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.

I hope you’re getting treatment for the panic attacks. And yes, MDMA can induce panic. I wish you strength in not going down that road again. Make sure your doctor checks thyroid tests too if not done already.

Thank you for your reply KarenNWendyn I really do appreciate it. I haven’t had another panic attack for a month so that’s a good thing.
I guess what has kept me sane in amongst the physical symptoms I’ve experienced, is that it happened so abruptly. I did think that was unusual. Before this happened I could run for kilometres on end without too much trouble. Now I’m struggling to walk down the road let alone run. That’s what has scared me. That and the fact that my muscle has largely disappeared, the fasciculations are constant and I can’t do what I could before physically, for some reason.

If both legs got weak at roughly the same time, that’s not how ALS starts. I assume in your first post, you got an EMG, not EEG. If you have EMG results, we’d be happy to comment on them if you could post them.

Okay well that’s good to know, thank you for the information. My GP sent me for an EEG because there was a family history case of epilepsy. I was told I may have to get the EMG done depending on the results of the Blood Enzyme test. I would describe the feeling in my legs as a disconnected feeling with very heavy legs.

Assuming you don't have epilepsy or myopathy, I'd ask your GP about a physio referral. A combination of body/mind work can speed up the process of feeling better after the toxic exposures/traumas you describe, if there is no systemic illness to blame. You can also renew focus on stretching, nutrition, hydration, enjoyable activities, sleep...I see no reason to think you have ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the reply Laurie. I don’t have epilepsy because the person who did the EEG told me they would notify my doctor straight away if there were any serious concerns. Unsure about Myopathy. I’ve been trying to sleep, stretch, hydrate and eat the right things. Maybe it is just my body taking a while to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back