Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IR
State
IR
City
Navan
Hi, I am a 37 years old male and am very worried I may have ALS or similar. About 8 weeks ago I began experiencing a sciatica like pain in my lower back that radiated down my right leg, it caused a certain degree of numbness and tingling and required pain relief to sleep at night. It resolved after 2 weeks and i was pain free.

Fast forward 8 weeks I have noted my right glute muscle has significantly wasted. I'm functioning fine but I have done some test to assess myself and noted the while I can stand on my tippy toes, my right hand side is weaker. I feel like my right calf is also slightly smaller than my left now. I am right side dominant so would not expect this.

It will be a number of weeks before I can get to a medical professional about this and I am very worried. I would like some feedback if possible.

Hi there
I think it will really help you to read this through slowly and carefully as there is lots of information here that will really help.

I don't see a single thing, honestly, in what you have said. ALS is all about muscles failing, and you won't feel any different.
Sciatica has nothing to do with ALS and pain, numbness and tingling are not experienced either. If you start researching and examining yourself all the time you will soon spiral into believing all kinds of things that will be far from what is going on.

Do let us know what the doctor says, but while waiting you could really help yourself by looking at posture, repetitive work practices, sleep positions, exercise, diet and mindfulness. All of these things can only do you good, regardless of whatever is going on.

Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly. I guess I just found it distressing to see my body change without me being able to understand why. You have put my mind at ease but I will continue to investigate the reasons for these changes.

Thanks

Certainly you should seek medical attention when you have symptoms. I agree it doesn’t sound like ALS but there are many things that can go wrong with the human body and you need a doctor to sort them out. Please don’t continue self testing. It doesn’t help you in finding answers and repeated testing can cause injuries. I am sorry you have such a long wait to be seen This is for a gp visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back