Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Sheffield
I am a 31 year old male. I have recently started experiencing really bad shin pains in both legs when walking, and generally just feel really fatigued and have a feeling of having no energy.

I visited my Dr last Wednesday where I had two x-rays (results not yet returned) and a full blood test. The blood test results all came back clear except a low Folate count, and also low Vitamin D counts. The Dr said usually they wouldn't prescribe medication for these as they aren't low enough to create any physical symptoms, but she gave me supplements to improve this, as that could be a cause of the no energy/fatigue.

However, she states that is my X-ray don't show anything, she believes this may be Neurological, and suggested possibly being Multiple Sclerosis, or even worse, MND/ALS. This is what worried me. I seem to have tremors, as in an adrenaline feeling throughout my body.

My hands/arms ache when doing simple things such as typing this message on a keyboard, or screwing a screw into a wall for example. I also feel like I am going to fall over at any moment when walking, but have not yet had a fall.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this as there are people here that are in a better place to answer than I am.

My thoughts? It doesn’t sound remotely like ALS and I am surprised your doctor even thought neurological at all.

did you read the read before posting thread at the top of this subforum? If you haven’t, please do. You will see that nothing you report is an ALS symptom

Hello, here's the last discussion you had on here about 2 years ago: Learning about this terrible disease, could this be ALS?

Has your doctor been following you all this time and been able to track changes? Did you see a neuro when you expressed concern about ALS in Oct of 2018? If so, what was their take?

Hello, here's the last discussion you had on here about 2 years ago: Learning about this terrible disease, could this be ALS?

Has your doctor been following you all this time and been able to track changes? Did you see a neuro when you expressed concern about ALS in Oct of 2018? If so, what was their take?

Yes, and only now has she come to the conclusion this could be Neurological. I have never seen a neurologic doctor but I do have an appointment for an MRI.

I'm not sure how your doctor went from shin pain to a possible neurological condition. That's quite a leap and not at all how ALS starts. Is there a reason that after nearly two years, you are still focused on ALS? You have no symptoms, so I am a bit perplexed at how you feel you may have such a rare disease. Pain points away from ALS, as does your other non-ALS symptoms. That's a great thing.

I would continue working with your doctors, but the good news is, you still don't belong here. Be happy for that fact. Stay safe and take good care.

I would get an ergonomic evaluation of how you work and do any regular sports or athletic activity. Often simple positioning changes or work aids can reduce the energy you expend, and the muscles you load or stretch past their capacity. Your GP can refer you to an appropriate resource.

Hi apologies for the delay in replying.

I got my xray results back which show as normal for my shins. However I'm still feeling weak/lacking energy.

I spoke with my Dr again and she said she thinks my issue is neuropathic. What does this mean for it potentially being als?

I'm still no less worried than before, my Dr has put me on a waiting list for an ultrasound, but thats at least 3 weeks away.

Neuropathic is a general term meaning having to do with nerve damage. An ultrasound is a good thought as you could have circulation problems in your legs.

There is still no reason to suspect ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back