Diagnosis
04/2020
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Good afternoon everyone. I’m looking for advice regarding diagnosing ALS. I have had two EMGS. One was conducted at the Mayo Clinic. Neither showed any muscle wasting but the last one at Mayo showed some fasciculation potentials. I was told there was no evidence of neuromuscular disease at this time. I now have constant visible fasciculations especially in my calf’s And my muscles seem like they are getting weaker. I am also experiencing tightness in my throat and difficulty swallowing. My tongue also feels very weird. Should i be worried I may have ALS or are the two EMGS evidence enough that I don’t have it? The two EMGS were two months apart with the last one being done on April 2020. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Andrew

If your EMG only showed fasciculations, then you don’t have ALS. You can post your EMG results with your name blacked out and we can comment further.

A normal EMG so recently with the constellation of symptoms you describe does not suggest ALS. I would look to improve your overall health by deconstructing your sleep, stress, allergies, hydration, nutrition, stretching as with classical stretch/tai chi, etc. That will put you in a better position to determine what, if any objective issues remain.

Best,
Laurie

Try reading this link we provide as it really gives you lots of detail. You truly don't have ALS symptoms or signs at all :)

Thank you very much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated. Your comments are very comforting. I have attached a copy of my latest EMG. I look forward to your comments.

Attachments

• EMG Test.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 164
This EMG is in the range of normal. It does not show ALS/MND. Nor does your story. You’re good to go. Happy dance!

"Overall normal study. There is no electrodiagnostic evidence of a lower motor neuron disorder or neuromuscular hyperexcitability ..."

Woo hoo, a normal EMG! That is fantastic news and a blessing that you can move on and once and for all forget this disease. When my husband was diagnosed, he had not one normal EMG during the diagnostic process, and he was told right from the outset that they suspected ALS. You have not been told this and been cleared in every other way.

Good luck to you and please take care and stay safe.

The summary says it all. Overall normal study no evidence of mnd or hyperexcitability.
a few fasciculation potentials should not worry you

congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back