Reason
Friend was DX
Country
UK
State
Greater London
City
London
Hello to everyone here, and thank you for allowing me access to this site...
My partner has had muscle fasciculation for the last 7 months which have become progressively worse; he has also had difficulty which slurring and use of his hands. Unfortunately it has taken so long to get him to go to the hospital. Finally got him there a week ago and he discharged himself without seeing the neurosurgeon the next morning! I am getting really scared now as his legs are cramping up and he genuinely looks ill, but his fear is even greater and he won't go back - pls help as I don't know how to convince him to get treatment. Is there anything that mimics these symptoms, or is this what I think it likely to be? Grateful, truly for any advice. :confused:

Hi Sam- my docs told me there are about 100 neurological conditions that have weakness and fasciculations as presenting symptoms. They said this after the local docs were pretty sure I have ALS. That was 2 years ago and I still do not officially have it, so you can see there is plenty of room for hope.

ALS is a very rare disease. The odds are in his favor that what he may have is something else, and something treatable. Maybe once he realizes this, he will want to get a good neurological work-up from a large teaching hospital. He could be in need of meds.

Thanks

Thank you CindyM, I appreciate your response. I really don't like to burden everyone with my worries and you have made me feel a lot better, I hope I can do the same for my partner...I think that the way he was taken into emergency admission didn't help and it has been hard to watch someone so strong be so scared, but you have given me the encouragement to get him back down the hospital for more tests which obviously will go on for some time - wishing you all the best and much love! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back