Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Sydney
Hi

I am worried for my best friend...he has been displaying some weird symptoms recently. Any help from anyone would be really appreciated.

He has recently had symptoms where he feels weird in his arms. They feel numb and tingly and weighed down. Sometimes his legs too, but mostly his arms, and mostly his right arm.

Sometimes his hand swells a bit.

Also, he has had this feeling where he feels what he calls "nervous energy" charging through him- but he does not feel nervous/anxious at all- just like he could go running from 10 miles. He says something feels 'wrong'.

And thirdly, he has been twitching and fidgeting a lot more than usual.

Like I said, any help would be appreciated...

I should add that he has suffered many concussions and I am also sometimes worried about CTE. I think there may be some correlation between CTE and ALS, but I'm really too scared to check.

Re: Worried for friend

Persuade your friend to take his problems to his primary care physician and follow the advice and/or referrals given to him there. Looking up things on the Internet and trying to apply what you find to your friend's situation doesn't help him because you don't know enough about what you are reading to know what's relevant and what's not relevant. You're not a doctor and you don't play one on TV, so get your friend to a real doctor.

As Trfogey said your friend needs to see a Dr, which none of us here are. It is nice that you are trying to help your friend but honestly trying to get answers for him on the web will not be helpful.

I agree with Tr and Ted. It would be better for you to take your friend to a real doc tor and leave doc tor go og le be. Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for!"

numb and tingly aren't ALS symptoms--

have your friend see a doctor to see if there is a problem in the neck somewhere perhaps. Your researching is only going to scare you and your friend.

He has an appointment with a neurologist coming up...but I just wanted to see whether his symptoms were familiar as the very early signs of ALS.

NO, they aren't. ALS doesn't cause numbness or tingling.-- or swelling.

The restless energy sounds like Restless Leg syndrome--again, not ALS.

He has an appointment with a neurologist coming up...but I just wanted to see whether his symptoms were familiar as the very early signs of ALS.

No, they don't sound like the early stages of ALS -- not in the slightest.

Thank you to all who took the time to respond, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back