Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NK
City
Brooklyn
Hello All, I have been having strange muscle twitches between my thumb and pointer finger, it keeps me up at night. I can feel the muscle tighten just before it twitches, does this sound like anything concerning like ALS. It also twitches in my palm, this all happens on my left hand. I asked my Doctor and he couldn't give me an answer for sure. They did a strength test and simple nuro tests which all looked fine. My fingers are crossed its all just caused by stress. My mum passed from Bulbar in 2022, she was aged 70 when diagnosed although she had symptoms for a year before diagnosed. Mum passed at 72. Mums ALS was classed sporadic, no other family members have been diagnosed, we didn't have any genetic testing done. The Doctors put it down to environmental.

Just one other question in April 2021 I had a nerve conduction study and a EMG all come back saying no sign of ALS, would things have changed in 9 months should I ask for another one.

Thank you all for your time.
Anita

I'm very sorry about your mom. Nothing you have said points to ALS, but often the twitches can be helped through lifestyle changes and as you say minding sleep and stress. You could also try a drop or two of magnesium lotion where the twitching is, especially before bed.

Best,
Laurie

I'm so sorry for the very recent loss of your mum, it is so hard to accept and adjust to being without her.
I would like to assure you that twitching alone means nothing, not a thing.
On top of that, you would not be the least bit likely to develop ALS at the same time as your mum passing, even if she had the genetic form. The fact no other family members have had ALS is another huge factor - those who have it in their family know it, and have members of the family being diagnosed regularly.
Now, what you really need to do is sit down with your doctor and ask about help with grieving, dealing with such a shocking terminal illness in your mum, and help to deal with working through what is happening with you.
Many children of someone with ALS have these fears, they are perfectly normal, but your chances are not really different to mine, and I lost my husband to ALS. It takes time and help to move to that place.

Thank you Laurie and affected for getting back to me. If I can ask with the genetic form of als does it affected family members at the same age and start in the same place? Also as mentioned I had an EMG 9 mths ago could and would things change that quickly?

I am looking at getting assistance with my anxiety with regards to loosing mum.

Genetic forms tend to start around the same age though that is not etched in stone. Also 70 is extremely old for FALS Given no relatives affected plus that your odds of FALS at all let alone starting at a much younger age are vanishingly small. Plus a normal exam and emg.

One site of onset can be more typical of certain genetic forms but it isn’t really reliable but that is irrelevant here

Thank you Nikki, think I will ask for another test to put my mind at ease as it was 9 months ago and my problem then was on the right side and not the left thumb.

Try and remember that doctors should order the tests that a person needs, rather than you, with no medical training telling your doctor what to do.
You would be far better telling your doctor all your symptoms and concerns and fears, then asking them - what should we do?
Otherwise you start to skew the direction of investigations, scare yourself more, and can slow down the correct diagnosis by taking things off track out of fear.

Hi Affected, I took your advice and asked the doctor, he suggested tests which I had done, the emg picked up 1 fasciculation during the exam in the area of concern, I will attach, could someone please let me know your perspective. The neuro said it was normal and I'mnot disputing it just concerned and don't know if they can miss anything. I have read the sticky notes just would like your views. I'm still getting the twitch it makes me freeze everytime it goes off. Not sure is it ever too early to have a nerve conduction and emg test. I should have payed more attention to mums, although she kept these things to her self. To be honest she didn't ever want to believe she had motor neurones even when in palative care. Thank you for your understanding.

Attachments

• 20220226_133241.jpg
    20220226_133241.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
  • 20220226_133232.jpg
    20220226_133232.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 136
  • 20220226_133217.jpg
    20220226_133217.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 144
Oh that is just fantastic!
Twitching means nothing, and if you read the post you are asked to read before posting it explains the EMG can't be done too early.
You are GOOD TO GO, I'm thrilled for you.

Yes, that is great news. A single fasciculation is the same as zero. Even if you had many fasciculations, in the absence of other findings, we would not be concerned about ALS.

There are many strategies to reduce twitching, from the drop of magnesium lotion on any "hot spots" that I suggested earlier, to physical activity that de-stresses you, while focusing on diet, hydration, and sleep. Just as you would make an effort to work on something like migraines, you can work on your twitches and likely get them under control. But you can meanwhile get on with life, knowing that they are not part of a disease. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back