Status
Not open for further replies.
gbrown

did you start with twitching? or did you twitch once you noticed weakness?
I know it varies. some people twitched first for awhile (a year or 2) then the weakness set in. they say that is lower % of folks but it seems on this site that there are alot of folks who twitched first. one person twitched for almost 7 year! MY neuro acts like twiching as a first sign is no big deal, becasue of the text book %'s. well, I told her there are alot people that start with twitching!

Lace,

What autoimmune disease do you have?

So, I am new to this site. I am really nervous about having ALS. I went to the Neurologist about three years ago and she did not seem to think that I had anything other than BFS, depression from being obsessed with my twitching, and just being too anxious. After doing tests of course. Including an EMG....
I did not want to hear that really. I wanted something concrete that could tell me how to manage these things or just get rid of them or get a horrible diagnosis so I could stop worrying.
I still have twitching and I am still obsessed with the notion that I have ALS. I have a scalloped tongue and it twitches occasionally. But it has not gotten really worse. NOthing has gotten worse really.
I do about 15-20 pull ups a day and bike to work whenever I can. And I just got back from a vacation where I hiked and climbed with no problem. I feel a lot better when I work out. Is this not possible when someone has ALS? I just feel so worried because these twitches don't go away. I mean they are not constant though, its a twitch and then nothing. They seem to rear their ugly head when I am stressed out. Like recently breaking up with a my boyfriend and getting a new puppy and just being super absorbent to emotions and feelings.
I guess that I am just a psycho? It is just that I always hear that I am just crazy, this is why I don't talk about it to anyone really.
Thanks.

pfox,

If you have had these for 3 yrs and are still biking and working out, that should help ease your mind. If you dont have muscle loss or weakness, then it is likely bfs/stress. I dont like when docters chalk things up to stress but if you have no decline over 3 yrs or anything....try not to worry. I know it is easier said then done. If my body did not display so many other symptoms of als, And it was just twitching and I could work out and ride bike, I would not be here fearing als. So, try to not and go be active...

I think I read somewhere that one of the primary symptoms with BFS is an obsession with having ALS or MS. Probably part of whatever causes the twitching.

Loriliz,

I'm in that long process of being diagnosed. Weakness started in my r arm and then both legs and then L arm. I noticed fasciculations only about 3 months ago and weakness has been progressing for a year or so. My EMG was normal (performed just after the twitching started) 6 weeks ago. MRI and countless viles of blood tested for who knows what were all clean. Good news, its not ALS at this point. Bad news is - no diagnosis. So, with nothing diagnosed, no treatment is being given for progressing weakness, twitching and cramping (not to mention the stiff muscles which render me unbendable). The neuro has me scheduled for a 3 month follow-up to see what kind of changes have will have taken place and probably another EMG. I wonder if anyone with this kind of stuff started out with a clean EMG that eventually went negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back