Craigy84

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Worried:
Hi in 2014 my father past away with ALS. We are unsure about any other ALS in the family, due to fact my dad wasn’t close with his family. His father died suddenly when he was young but we don’t know what of. Watching my dad battle this illness was probley the worse thing I have experienced in my life and I have so much respect for every single one of use battling this horrible illness. I am 36 years old and serve in the military currently as a combat medic. About 3 weeks ago I started to experience what felt like muscle spasms in arms . I had experience this about 3 years before hand and a few times after this but every time these disappeared. This time however my symptoms is worse I have the muscle spasms . I have also been experiencing a what feels like burning in my muscles , the other day the muscle between my thumb and index finger (abductor pollucis transversus) felt like it was stiff and numb. I also went to dinner the same night and was struggling to hold my knife and fork it was like my distal phalanges were locking and I couldn’t hold them properly this has since went back to normal but I have had numbness in my arms which changes from one arm to the other. I also today have had noticed that the muscle in my right forearm has been twitching and hasn’t really stopped. Dnt know about atrophy as it’s hard to tell on yourself. I am worried and know there a chance als can run in the family. I also concerned as I have a young family who I support and also Don’t know how my family will cope if I was diagnosed such a short time after my father. I know you all get this post all the time but as a medial professional I know somethings not right. I know use are suffers or care givers to people with als but I Dnt know how to talk to my partner or my family about this or my work as I am the kind of person that bottles things up and do and dosnt like to show how I feel. Also if I tell my work it will probley mean me being thrown out the military. Am sorry to bother use amazing people but I really am at my whitts end with worry

It doesn’t sound like ALS. It is highly unusual even in FALS families ( and you have no evidence this is FALS) for ALS to appear a generation earlier If you have worrisome symptoms you need to see a doctor. I find it hard to believe you will be removed from the military for seeing a doctor for a physical problem. Or are you saying it would be for your worry?

Thank u for your reply, Yes I would be worried about removal as I support my family and I know I need to speak to a doctor regards this it’s just hard as I am currently in isolation to deploy overseas . I seen what my father went through and am worried as I don’t think my family would be able to handle what we went through before. I was aware of these forums as my father and mother used them to communicate with other people suffering and caring for people living with als. I am just seeking someone to speak to and advice as I really feel isolated and no one to speak to regards this. Thank you for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back