Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
Minnesota (MN)
City
Fridley
I a 60 year old male that has developed some disturbing symptoms. I went to my family doctor and she referred me to a neurologist for an EMG. I went to the neurologist and instead of the EMG he sent me for an MRI of the cervical spine and the brain with and without contrast along with a CT scan. He got the results and called for me to come in as soon as possible. I was sure that I had a pinched nerve in my neck that was causing the weakness in my right arm. Well it turned out that the MRI's showed that everything was fine with just normal wear and tear. He then scheduled me for the EMG on my arms. He did the EMG on my right arm and then stopped the exam and said that I'd have to reschedule for the left arm and also my legs.

I can't lift my right arm above shoulder height, lift groceries into or out of a shopping cart, comb my hair very well, use a hair dryer or shave. I also have an extremely hard time with buttons and getting a polo shirt over my head is difficult. When I get dressed in the morning it consist of several small steps with rest breaks in between. My hands have started to curl and I can't open jars or even tear open a package of sweetener. I also can't be trusted to carry things more than a few feet without the risk of dropping.

I didn't get the results of the EMG on the right arm but I did get to talk to the doctor for a few minutes. He did agree that ALS was one of the possibilities but he wanted to do more tests. During the EMG there seemed to be plenty of noise wherever he stuck the needle except in the bicep area. When the needle was inserted in those areas there was dead silence.

Just wondering what others experience has been.

I heard noise and I heard silence during my EMG. However, none of that experience qualifies me to interpret the results of my test or yours. You have paid a highly trained practicing professional for those opinions. Reading any story here with circumstances similar to yours will only make you worry more.

Thanks, Joe

I guess I'm also frustrated that I don't have any answers. I'm taking things one day at a time and trying to keep a positive attitude. If it is ALS there is nothing I can do to change anything and will just deal with it.

Plan for the worst but expect the best. Taking one day at a time is good advice for anyone! When does he want you back for a recheck? hope all goes well.

I go back in on the 30th for what his nurse said was extensive testing. I've got a week without knowing anything which I'm taking as good news right now.

Update - The neurologist did the EMG on my left arm and both legs on the 30th. It took him over 3 hours to complete the test and it was not a pleasant experience. When we talked to him after the test he told us that there were a lot of things going on and he wanted me to get a second opinion. We said that after the first EMG on my right arm that ALS was the most likely diagnosis but after doing this test he just wasn't sure anymore.

So I've been referred to the Mayo Clinic. I got lucky when I called to make the appointment as they had just had a cancellation. I'm headed down next week and we'll see what I find out.

One day at a time.

Stay strong. I will be thinking good thoughts and sending them your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back