Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Phoenix
Hi Everyone - first and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am a 34 year old male that is too anxiety stricken to see a Doctor and and need some guidance. 4 months ago the calf twitches started. Ever since then these twitches have been constant and annoying. They happen primarily at rest to my knowledge. I have had my fair share of struggles with anxiety over the years and noticed the calf twitches started about 10 days into a new SSRI medication I was taking. I have since stopped that medication but the twitches did not go away. 90% of the time they happen in my calves; I have noticed twitching all over my body but primarily it's the calves. There was a stretch of a couple weeks that I would get a small twitch on the tip of my tongue which really freaked me out but that has since subsided. I have no weakness after the 4 months of twitching and can still be as active as I want to be. Truthfully, I want to get an outsiders opinion, I feel alone on an island dealing with the anxiety which is fueled by these twitches. I should mention some family history, my Grandfather did pass away from ALS at an early age in his 30's/40's. I am unsure how relative that is considering no one else in the family has had ALS but figured I should mention it.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

Brian

Hi Brian-

Please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting

In it you will find a whole bunch of information- particularly about twitching absent any other symptoms (they can mean absolutely nothing at all!). It's pretty common for SSRI's to cause twitching. They are a brain medication. It can take a while for physical effects to wear off, but quitting them may not be the right thing to do. Please work with your prescriber to work out what is best.

One of the first things we recommend for anyone worried about their health is to go see a doctor to get checked out. A clinical examination is the first step. If you won't visit with a doctor, there's really nothing we can do here, as only a doctor can tell you if you have something neurological going on.

Please take care

If you won't see a doctor, please don't ask for our help. We are not doctors and this is dangerous for you to stop SSRI's without medical assistance.
All the very best.

I appreciate your responses. For reference I took the SSRI's for about 3 months, stopped them almost 6 weeks ago now and was taking a very low dose. Frankly, it is the familial history w/ ALS and muscle twitching that has me anxiety ridden. I did let me GP know about the muscle twitching initially but they brushed that off as an unwanted side effect of the SSRI. I have just grown more and more concerned that it has not stopped. The best thing to do is schedule an appointment to review these concerns and get over this mental hurdle.

Do just that. I think you will be reassured. Calf twitching can also be affected by diet, hydration, not stretching before exercise, and footwear, to name a few.

I saw my GP and they seemed not to be concerned. I expressed that the twitching has been going on for 4 months but without any muscle issues or weakness they chalked it up to BFS which is a guess as they are not a neurologist. I'd like to get one last bit of advice, do these symptoms sound like ALS whatsoever with the constant calf twitching for 4 months as well as intermittent twitching in other parts of the body i.e. thighs, back, tongue, chest, neck, face, arms.. pretty much all over. My gut tells me no since this is the only symptom I've experienced after 4 months but I am just so worried. In your experiences would something else have presented itself by now? I appreciate any and all responses.

Your intuition is correct. Widespread twitching with no real loss of function is very common and not characteristic of ALS.

Yes, by now something that is a real symptom of ALS would have presented itself. Follow your doctors advice and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back