Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi there. I feel kind of silly for coming here and asking a question because I'm guessing I don't have ALS but I do have some weird symptoms and that has made me worry about ALS in particular. About a week ago I started to notice a slight shaking in the muscle on the back of my thigh. It comes and goes but it's definitely still present. I don't feel any muscle weakness there. I do, however feel weakness in my forearms and hands. It's not that I can't still do normal activities but typing or writing or cutting something just feel a little bit awkward and different. It's hard to explain.

I run 3 miles 4 or 5 times a week and have had no problems with that. I'm also dealing with a mother who has MS and a father who was just diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I'm a mom of a one year old baby. I just have a lot going on and I don't know if I'm perceiving my dad's symptoms and bringing them on myself. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking if both my parents have neurological diseases am I next?

Anyway, do the two things described sound like anything related to ALS? Thank you.

I should also mention I'm 29, will be 30 in a few weeks.

Hi -
I'm a bit older than you (37) but also in the worried group . . .and also have a one year old. Everything takes on such an incredibly deeper meaning when it comes to my baby, I'm sure the same for you.....especially the thought of something like ALS.

You have A LOT on your plate, a small child, and now both parents with serious illnesses themselves. I don't know whether or not you should be worried about ALS, (I'll leave that to some other much more experienced posters) I just wanted to say that I feel for you, have great empathy, and hope that you're okay.

Take care,
Suzann

Thank you Suzann. That's very comforting and nice to know another mom of a little one is in the worried group. I'm trying to just enjoy my time with my daughter and not obsess over all these little symptoms but it's hard. I agree that everything changes now with a baby. My thoughts are, what if I have this and don't get to live to see her grow up? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but it's hard not to think those things. I'm sure you have gone through a similar struggle. Take care and I hope you are healthy as well!

Kelley

Hello keldubs. Anxiety can cause fasciculations or twitches. It sounds like you have a lot to be anxious about. I don't think ALS should be one of them though. You don't have ALS. I'm not a doctor but have seen a lot of ALS and you don't sound like you have it.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back