Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, another thing that bothers me, is like tremors inside my body. I feel that mosty when wake up, when still lying down. I've been feeling that in the last years and it is not frequent (everyday).

Thanks,

GKGK

Go for it Rose.

Gkgk. You had already been told, what Rose just posted, you replied in exactly the same way. Now you have new symptoms, which is a pattern here,

As you have been told and I will reiterate. You most probably have a neck issue, you need to see a Dr about it. It may be treatable with medication. Don't lump all symptoms and pains into one syndrome. Don't come up with new symptoms daily to keep your post going. Just read, listen and either ignore the advice or not. That's entirely up to you.

Best of luck.

GKGK as I replied to you in the visitor message you left, many people have pain in their neck and arm / wrist etc and the vast majority (99.99%) of them never end up having ALS. Just because you found an example of one person who did have pain in their neck that does not make it a marker or symptom for the onset of ALS. A study of one is not a study!

I will reiterate, I had rotator cuff 2 years before my diagnosis does that mean everyone who has rotator cuff surgery will end up with ALS.

Also you never addressed my question about how can you rationally explain the fact that 6 years ago you were here with the same concerns and obviously did not have ALS. What are the odds that 6 years after your first unfounded scare you know have this orphan disease? Please take a time out and think about that.

Go for it Rose.

Gkgk. You had already been told, what Rose just posted, you replied in exactly the same way. Now you have new symptoms, which is a pattern here,

As you have been told and I will reiterate. You most probably have a neck issue, you need to see a Dr about it. It may be treatable with medication. Don't lump all symptoms and pains into one syndrome. Don't come up with new symptoms daily to keep your post going. Just read, listen and either ignore the advice or not. That's entirely up to you.

Best of luck.

Alyoop,

Sorry, maybe you didn't understand me, but I am not having daily new symptoms.

- Twitching for 7 years;
- In the last 20 days feeling pain in the wrist/neck and tingling sensation (fasciculations?) in the left side of my face.

And in my last post I remembered about a sensation like tremors inside my body when I wake up, when still lying down. It happens in the last years (dont know the time exactly), and it is not frequent (everyday). But it is not a daily new symptom! I just forgot to say it before.

But I understand your point, thank you for your attention!

GKGK as I replied to you in the visitor message you left, many people have pain in their neck and arm / wrist etc and the vast majority (99.99%) of them never end up having ALS. Just because you found an example of one person who did have pain in their neck that does not make it a marker or symptom for the onset of ALS. A study of one is not a study!

I will reiterate, I had rotator cuff 2 years before my diagnosis does that mean everyone who has rotator cuff surgery will end up with ALS.

Also you never addressed my question about how can you rationally explain the fact that 6 years ago you were here with the same concerns and obviously did not have ALS. What are the odds that 6 years after your first unfounded scare you know have this orphan disease? Please take a time out and think about that.

TedH5,

I do agree with you about having examples with others. And, about your question explaining the fact I had the same concerns years ago, you are also right!

But as you know our mind is powerful - for good and bad things! And all my symptoms makes me scared. :(

All the best,

GKGK

The only thing I'll add is what I said to you already--pain in the neck and down the arm--assuming a heart attack has been ruled out--is, 90% of the time, a pinched nerve or a muscle strain of some sort.

The nerves in the neck control an entire side of the body--so if you have issues in the cervical spine -- they can cause issues clean down to your fingers--things like tingling, loss of sensation, some weakness--even abnormal reflexes. Oh, and PAIN. Pain is NOT a presenting first symptom of ALS. But, I'm aware you won't believe that.

A pinched nerve in the elbow, called the ulnar nerve, is a possible reason for wrist pain--or heck, even carpal tunnel or strain. Don't know how long ago your EMG and NCV was--but if the NCV was clear--then muscle STRAIN is the most common cause. Nerve injuries do show in NCV.

Tingling in the face can have causes from medication to stress. It can also be not enough oxygen in your system--or a sign of hyperventilation.

Stop trying to lump all your strange symptoms to one cause. Have you considered at all fibromyalgia? Believe me, it has a whole host of accompanying and even disabling symptoms. It can be mild--or very severe. Mine is severe.

Internal tremors wouldn't be ALS either--ALS affects NERVES -- the nerves that control the limbs and breathing and swallowing, etc. Not tremors--read above for possible causes like O2 or stress or meds or hyperventilation or....you notice ALS isn't on the "or" list.

Coming and going weakness on one side of the body entirely can even be, believe it or not, mini-strokes. I had about a dozen of them before I had a stroke. It happens.

I'd bet my last dollar that you don't have ALS or any other MND.

Alyoop,

Sorry, maybe you didn't understand me, but I am not having daily new symptoms.

- Twitching for 7 years;
- In the last 20 days feeling pain in the wrist/neck and tingling sensation (fasciculations?) in the left side of my face.

And in my last post I remembered about a sensation like tremors inside my body when I wake up, when still lying down. It happens in the last years (dont know the time exactly), and it is not frequent (everyday). But it is not a daily new symptom! I just forgot to say it before.

But I understand your point, thank you for your attention!

TedH5,

I do agree with you about having examples with others. And, about your question explaining the fact I had the same concerns years ago, you are also right!

But as you know our mind is powerful - for good and bad things! And all my symptoms makes me scared. :(

All the best,

GKGK

Tingling is not fasciculation! Did you even READ the post I spent twenty minutes typing? It's obvious you don't know what a fasciculation is. Most of them aren't even felt--often they are just SEEN and may look like a little jump or pulse in a nerve. I can SEE the ones in my hand--I can't feel them--have never felt them. But they are nearly constant. In my case, why? Because I have an atrophied dead hand!

Get a grip--see your GP and go from there.

notme,

I don't know if it makes difference but the pains are in my wrist and my neck, not in my arms. First appeared in my wrist and after few days in my neck. Maybe I am very worried because these pains and tingling in my face are all in the left side. And twitches, of course, including in the face.

Sorry, but I know tingling is not fasciculation! Maybe I was misunderstood in the previous post.

I agree with all of you.
It is not easy but I have to try putting my worries out of my mind.

Thank you for your words.

Best,

GKGK.

I'm saying...issues in your NECK and cause issues in your WRIST. Or even your finger tips. When I was having neck trouble (several ruptured discs) my fingers felt like they had bamboo shoots going through them. My arm didn't hurt at all--and my wrist was killing me.

Get your doc to order tests on your neck to be sure. As for the facial stuff--even on the same side--it doesn't mean a thing. Actually, look up a little anatomy and you'll see there is a crossover in the neck region. Something systemic affecting the left-face would present in the right-body--such as happens in a stroke. Right sided facial drooping with left sided body weakness.

Thank you all for the advices.
I'll try to relax. Keep you updated.

All the best,

GKGK

GKGK,

You mention in the first post within this thread that you first visited the forum back in 2005. BUT your user name seemed familiar to me, and as I first joined the forum in 2008, so was somewhat puzzled because of the disparity in dates.

I just was searching through the members list, and found a GGKK who had about 60 posts, give or take, starting in late January of 2009. If you are indeed the same person, (your hometown location listed is the same) you would do well to go back and read the responses given in 2009. A lot of well meaning people expended their time and energy in an attempt to help. Also notice that eventually people stopped responding to GGKK'sposts...

Even better, take the time to really study a beloved member's many posts. He has since left us, but he was diagnosed with ALS in November of 2005, eleven months after you first stumbled across the forums. He completely exemplified how to live without giving in to the ALS monster. He traveled, he married the love of his live and had a daughter who was the absolute apple of his eye.

A few months before he died, I noticed he'd not been online, and I sent him a private message asking if he was okay.

He responded that yes, he was fine, that he and his wife and daughter had been away on vacation traveling, and he had not spoken about it publicly because he didn't want those less fortunate (in regards to their progression) to feel like he was flaunting his good health and slow progression.

Not all that long after I received this response from him, his wife posted the following message:

Thank you so so much everyone for your tributes and thoughts about Richard, and for posting his obituary here.

He passed away from what the coroner believes to be a heart attack while napping. The way he died speaks to how he lived his life. He always said he wasn't going to worry about the fact that he had ALS because he could get hit by a truck or die of a heart attack at any time.

You were all such a big part of his life and he was so dedicated to you. Even while on vacation he would still moderate the forum and post his thoughts here.

xoxo Richelle and Amelia.

So, this man, who was such a dedicated forum member and endeared himself to many here, was a loving husband and father, and also a partner in a successful law firm, refused to live in fear of what ALS could rob from him, and in fact was taken by a heart attack rather than his disease.

His user name was rcharlton, we often refer to him as just "Richard", and I think that even after his passing, he can help you. Think about his philosophy, reflect upon how he lived. Go to his profile page and read the captions under the many pictures in his photo albums. Read his responses to others.

I hope you can apply this to your life, and help you relax as far as your fears of ALS. I also would strongly encourage you to refrain from the ongoing posting (that is getting you nowhere) until after you have been seen by your doctor. Please do let us know what the doctor says about your neck and wrist, and the next steps he or she suggests for you to follow.

well said Rose, very, very well said. When I think of what I, and my family, have gone through, and how my beloved aunt dealt with this disease, it breaks my heart to read some of the posts here.

I've had muscle twitching and cramps since 2007 and I do not have ALS. What I have are benign fasciculations. Yep, they are a pain in the butt but they are doing no other harm other than bugging the living daylights out of me.

If you are truly scared, schedule a visit with a medical professional.

Rose,

Yes, I am the same person of GGKK. I tried to recover my password but as my old email is inactive the moderator asked me to open a new account. Thats the reason now my username is GKGK.

Nice words, it really touches me. I am very sad to know that Al, Joel, Barry, Richard, among many other heroes, are no longer here. At the same time I'm sure they are watching us from heaven. I learned a lot with them years ago.

Do you think I like to be worried? No, I don´t.
Be sure I try to relax and put my worries out of my mind.

Again, thank you for your words and your kind attention.

All the best,

GKGK

Trying to put my worries out of my mind but sometimes it is hard. Just noticed twitches (5 seconds) in my neck where I am feeling minor pains! Also some occasional twitches in my face and lip (left side).

Could it be relationed with bulbar onset?
:(

Thanks,

GKGK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back