LouH

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi there,
Firstly, like many others, I really wish I wasn’t writing this. However, after Google has made me lose my mind, this forum has helped me regain a little sanity so feel it may be the best place to voice my concerns, if you don’t mind.
I’ve developed a pretty much constant fasc in my very upper inner right thigh, near to the femoral artery/pelvis. First visit to Drs I saw a nurse who told me it was my pulse. I knew this wasn’t the case so returned the following day and saw a GP who agreed it wasn’t and confirms it was a fasc. He’s booked me in for bloods and ultrasound and when I voiced my worries over ALS, he wasn’t concerned but understood my concern.
My issue is that 4 years ago I went with an other concern and was told I was worrying unnecessarily. I had this same feeling of dread which continued and I really pushed for tests which later confirmed I had breast cancer, what I had originally thought. I was treated successfully and know I was very lucky, but this has left me with extreme health anxiety. I perhaps think new physical symptoms and the panic cause a PTSD effect which my GP said we need to treat. It’s been a week and I’m now being physically sick along with all my previous symptoms of anxiety.
I realise this isn’t a forum for easing anxiety, I just wanted to double check if anyone thinks my worry could be founded, everything I’ve read about benign fascs seem to suggest they’re widespread or come and go. Mine is very specific in one area, like an irregular pulsing feeling. I have no weakness (I’ve read the stickies and am massively reassured by this) but a little stiffness in the hip and lower back. I do get random twitches all over but very sporadic. Calf cramping occasionally and randomly numb big toes.
Again, I’m truly sorry and very annoyed at myself for posting, please feel free to tell my off as I think I need a slap really!
Thank you in advance

Please read this post carefully again as it is our official position.

ALS is about failure as it is a disease which begins in the brain and causes motor neurones to die.

Breast cancer is quite common, ALS is not.

Please work with your doctors as we are not doctors and can't examine you or observe you. The sticky asks you not to read it then argue it with us, so you do need to do this with your doctors. We don't argue against sensible doctor advice either.

I wish you the very best.

Happy to hear about your successful BC treatment, but sorry that it has left you anxious about your present twitching.

Fasciculations or feelings like that don't have to be "BFS" per se to be nothing to worry about. Pretty much all of us have had twitching, pulsating, thrumming feelings somewhere at some point that were nothing. Therapeutic massage, a hot tub or sauna, walking, swimming, tai chi and similar bodywork may help and can be nice in their own right.

I think the tests will be reassuring and would expect this to diminish over time. One can certainly consider counseling and/or medication for anxiety generally, just to have a better life, if that's what it takes.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Thank you both for taking time to reply, it really is appreciated. I really do endeavour to take your advice going forward and also address the anxiety issue.
Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back