Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
RU
City
Moscow
Hi! My name is Anna. My native is not English, sorry for the possible mistakes. I've read the pinned posts and hope that what I'm experiencing is not ALS. Anyway I'm having EMG this Friday and feel anxious about it and about my symptoms.

For some time, I periodically had twitchings (as I remember now), which I did not pay attention to. 11 days ago I got the 1st part of the anti-Covid vaccine Sputnik, after which I had a high fever and weakness. On the 3d or 4th day I started to experience fasciculations all over the body several times in every minute, 24/7, and it became impossible to ignore it. I still have it, it's not getting better, I also feel stiffness and sometimes slight pain. And it's not an expected response to vaccine.
First I went to a therapist and a neuro in a hospital. I got a blod test (I don't have a result now) and no answers from them.
Then I found another neuro who specializes on motor disorders. He did his motor and reflex tests and told me that it was probably BFS, but I have to do EMG in order to exclude ALS. As I understand it, my reflexes are slightly increased too.
He thinks that the vaccine, due to the high feaver and my worries about it could provoke a worsening. He also rejected the version of Guillain-Barre syndrome, he said that I would be partly paralyzed by today if I had it.
Anyway, when I get the results of EMG I'll post the results here...

Hi, Anna, sorry to hear about your issues, but I'm pretty confident that they're not ALS. There are vaccine side effects and there are unforeseen complications from injections. It's possible that you may have some of each.

Assuming that your EMG is reassuring, I would ask about physiotherapy and meanwhile try to focus on stretching and gentle use of heat, along with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agent such as naproxen, with the agreement of your doctor.

Best,
Laurie

Hi, Laurie. Thanks for your response and support!
Yes, it looks like a side effect, although it's long. But seems like doctors are not aware of this.
Maybe if EMG will be ok, then I should find someone else for the consultation. Also my 2d part of the vaccine will be on the 12th of Feb and I have to decide should I do it or not.
I'll post my news tomorrow.

So, my EMG interpretation says:
'There is no signs of a denervation-reinnervation process in the studied muscles (right and left anterior tibials, right and left deltoid, right quadriceps). No spontaneous activity is registered. Difficulty registering spontaneous activity in the right anterior tibial muscle due to the difficulty of complete muscle relaxation is noted.
In the deltoid muscles, there is a decrease in the average duration of the potentials of motor units, but when registering an interference EMG, its parameters are normal (a variant of the norm?)'

Send it to my doctor, don't know when he'll answer.
What do you think? The doctor who gave me the EMG said he didn't see anything scary, but something a little wrong with deltoid muscles. He assumes it can be a variant of norm... Should I worry?

The EMG presents nothing to worry about in terms of ALS, and likely nothing to worry about otherwise (no denervation is very good news). The deltoid muscle is where they injected the vaccine. It is not uncommon for that muscle to be injured slightly by the injection and it can take months to heal, but it will, if that is the problem. That would only be on one side, though.

Still, even if the stated abnormality is in both deltoids, there is no neurological disease I can think of that would present only in that muscle bilaterally, so the idea of a normal variant is likely correct. I would therefore still ask about physio.

If you decide to have the second dose, I would have it in the opposite arm from the first one.

Laurie, thank you for your response and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back