00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
Hi everyone,

Firstly I just wanted to say that I have read the supportive pages regarding common questions regarding als and symptoms that may mirror it but isn't it, but I just felt for my own sake and sanity I had to post my situation (so sorry if this has been repeated before!).

I have basically had muscle twitches/fasciculations all around my body, but primarily in my legs (calves/thighs/feet) since September. I had the same twitches last year which lasted for about 2 months and then disappeared. they have come back roughly almost exactly a year on but have lasted much longer than the last episode. I had an EMG conducted that came out as completely fine and the doctor said that I had benign muscle fasciculations (BMF). this did settle me regarding any serious issues but recently the twitches have been in my mind again and I am fearing that there could be some possibility of miss diagnosis...

Besides the twitches, I sometimes feel tightness/stiffness in my legs but generally I feel physically fine. I don't see any visible muscle deterioration or weakness (maybe some perceived weakness at times because I am worried about the twitches), but I have been running and seem to be as fit as before the twitches. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions are on my symptoms as I am really struggling with the whole situation and keeping myself up at night at times with worry. I am a 25 year old male, weighing 74kg and believe I do suffer from some degree of stress/anxiety/paranoia. I am essentially worried that the benign muscle fascinations are an early sign of neuromuscular deterioration and possibly a precursor to als? Is is something that I need to potentially prepare for as a likely diagnosis in the future because of these twitches at a relatively young age?

Agiain, apologies if this has already been brought up a million times before but just some general insight would mean the world to me at this moment in time!

Please read this Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

please also note the posting rules. As an undiagnosed person you get one open thread in the could I have ALS subforum ( your post was moved)

as you would see in the post I directed you to twitches are meaningless and no bfs is not a harbinger of ALS
thank you for your response and I'm ever so sorry that I posted this on the wrong thread. I was just trying to know whether these benign muscle fasics are anything to worry about in terms of developing into something more serious down the line.

The answer, again, is no. To help yourself see this and live the life you deserve, I would suggest you seek treatment for whatever "stress/anxiety/paranoia" is holding you back from this.

Happy New Year! It looks as though you will have many many more to come. I am so sorry you have ever worried for even a moment that you could have had this horrible life robbing disease. What your Dr must have told you is that you did not have ALS, so I'm hazarding a guess here that you wanted confirmation from the people who are actually dying from the disease. Please take comfort, enjoy every minute. It's snowing here tonight, it is beautiful. God bless you.

Thank you for your reply and I just wanted to send through my love and support for anyone suffering from ALS/MND. I have made a donation and am hugely grateful again for anyone who takes the time to reply to me and help put my mind at ease. The mind really can cause absolute destruction if one permits it to happen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back