Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
Uni
State
RI
City
Providence
Hi, yes I was doing better. Now, I’m so worried about the financial security of our family. Before this, we had a plan for retirement, college, etc.

My husband earns almost twice what I make. How are we going to survive when he can’t work? And, how will we make it once he is gone? He has life insurance but it won’t make up for the 20+ years of no 2nd income. I’ve thought about how we may have to move but the thought of moving my boys seems so cruel - I can’t take them away from their friends.

And, my husband already is so devastated by the burden he is putting on us (I don’t see it that way). The thought of talking to him about this seems so cruel.

We are meeting with our lawyer to do legal, power of attorney, etc on Monday. But, the financial piece is so hard to figure out. We will get a financial planner but should we also get a medical/disability attorney.

I am sorry. It is hard. If he is not a veteran( and you have not mentioned it) then look at social security. It won’t be miraculous but your kids who are minors can receive benefits when he does and they will continue as long as they are 18 or less ( 19 if still in high school). There is a cap on total family amount and rules about how you use the money but it will help a bit. Find out about job benefits too.

It is good you are doing the paperwork and planning early. Getting that done will help you move forward

Sometimes people have to move for financial reasons or for accessibility. If it needs to happen during the PALS lifetime earlier is better

In my family 3 members stayed in place and the others moved. The people who moved also relocated but more often PALS move locally.

MGH clinic has a social worker. I have never seen her but I can’t imagine she is anything but good at her job. She might be someone to chat to about available resources.

I know someone mentioned CCALS to you. They won’t give you money for general living but may help with equipment so you can save money for other things

It is a scary time but you can do this

I am so sorry! It is another burden of this disease. I remember these same thoughts keeping me awake at night. In addition to the Social Security Disability, he will be entitled to Medicare. I don't remember what you said about your PALS employment, if anything, but check and see if they have any disability insurance or disability retirement plan for him. My PALS was federal civil service and I was unaware that he could get disability retirement.

Mary

I know you said you were seeing an attorney and we all know how costly that can be. I found an attorney for my brother who was kind enough to do all of his affairs at a greatly reduced cost. It wouldn't hurt to ask the attorney you have chosen if they could consider a reduced rate due to your circumstances. Every little bit helps and people are compassionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back