Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
I have been lurking here the last few weeks. Decided to post today. So I have been struggling the last two months with swallowing issues. Not getting food all the way down, and choking on things.

My tongue and mouth have a weird sensation. I don't really know how to describe it. Either an irritation or a numbness. I also get a weird sensation like I'm drooling out of the corner of my mouth (but I'm actually not).

My ENT sent me for a swallow test. He said it looks like I have silent acid reflux but isn't sure it would affect my tongue. So of course I googled it and ALS and MS come right up. Since that day I have worried myself sick. Cant eat, sleep, or work. I have an appointment with a Neurologist in 6 weeks. I have no idea how I'm going to make it that long. I test my speech all the time (to the point I'm driving my wife crazy) and it seems fine. I don't seem to have any weakness in limbs but I do get a fair amount of twitching.

It seems my mind is stuck worrying about this and I cant get out of it. I am a 52 year old male with 4 kids. It is a very stressful time right now which doesn't help.

Hi there- have a read here: Read Before Posting

It sounds like you're seeing the correct medical professional. Because you report such strong sensory issues, ALS would not be considered a worry. I'd keep working with your ENT to track down the cause of your issues, but this forum would not be a place you'll find the need to visit in the future, I think.

I don't know how you googled silent acid reflux and jumped to ALS.
You can actually choose to control how you spend the time til your next appointment.
We all had to go through a process of months, waiting, so please make your time count. Regardless of what is diagnosed in the end, you will never get now back so don't waste it.

Come back and let us know the final diagnosis as it really helps others who fear ALS. (my husband was bulbar onset and your descriptions don't match bulbar really)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back