00/0000
Country
UK
State
LE
City
Leicester
Hello all

Im a 25 yr old male. About 2 months ago i felt slight pressure on my left chest like a hand pressing down thought nothing of it the next day i was feeling the same but also sharp stabbing pains every half hour or so i went a&e thinking its my heart it was all clear.

About a week after this i was feeling tightness in my left neck and sensation of a lump when i would lie down or be looking down but there is no feeling of a lump and numbness on left jaw/mouth. And when i would play football my left chest area would feel like its on fire like just the underside of skin burning. Went gp he goes its my nerves and prescribed amitriptyline and referred me to a neurologist he said this could take few months. When gp did some tests on me he ssid it all looks ok but i do remember when he hit the hammer on right elbow i felt a big kick internally but my arm didnt kick out or anything.

After taking this medicine my whole body started twitching and apparently this is a side effect. Its been a few weeks now and the neck issue has gone down by 90% id say and no numbness in jaw and no chest burning. The twitching is still there but a lot less id say a twitch or 2 per hour compared to the every 5minutes.

Now the past couple weeks or so ive been feeling weird in my right arm mainly forearm and the occasional twitching has just been happening in right eye lid and left toe. I dont go gym but having read about als i tried to test myself. Picking up a heavy dumbbell my right arm would fatigue much quicker the fingers would start letting go. I have no problem doing normal stuff like ironing eating typing etc. But my right arm feels weird doing things like a cramp/burning sensation when i brush my teeth or even holding up my phone. Also constantly opening and closing my fists quickly i feel fatigue/burning setting in my right arm after a few goes. Same attempts/activity on left side no problem.

Naturally how my hand would be the fingers are not straight they curve in but when i keep my right hand straight out it feels as though the fingers are being made to come back towards the palm. I can continue to keep fingers straight but i feel the urge to release cause of the feeling in forearm.

Theres no noticeable decrease in muscle size and the forearm muscles are still hard when i tense them.

Sorry for the long post and I know of my age and other reasons why it could not be als but im still worried thank you and god bless you all.

Hello there. Have a read here: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

It addresses many of the things you have mentioned here. Pressure on your chest, symptoms that come and go or improve, burning skin, etc are not part of the usual constellation of symptoms that indicate a neurological disorder, let alone ALS. I should also note that self testing is a great way to indicate health anxiety and in no way provides any objective health information your doctor or strangers on the internet can use to help you. You are spot on about the twitching- brain meds cause all sorts of odd symptoms, including twitches, cramping, stiffness, etc, etc.

Keep working with your doctor, and allow some more time for the meds you've been prescribed to work. You may also wish to find a trainer or physiotherapist to provide a physical/structural assessment and an exercise regime in the off chance you've got some sort of structural imbalance.

All the best

<quoted text removed>

Ok thanks for the reply friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back