Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Hi All!

I have read a few threads and I realize this may be quite redundant so many thanks in advance for reading my concerns.

I have a had few recent symptoms and upon using the internet (worst decision ever it seems), I've developed some concerns in regards to a connection with ALS.

I have been having the following symptoms:

* Started with some fluttering in my toes -- somewhat spasms but just felt like flutters
* I started having odd spams all over. In my feet (mostly left side but occasional right side as well) and then onto my arms. Sometimes in my hands and I've felt them in my upper arms and legs.
*Twice I have actually SEEN the spams (once in my arm and once in my torso) but have yet to physically see the ones occurring in my feet or anywhere else (especially the ones that feel like flutters)
* I've noticed some odd twitching / jerking in my legs (mostly my calf area)
* A bit of odd twitching in my tongue -- nothing crazy or over the top.
* No atrophy and I don't necessarily feel weak but I have always been the type to lose muscle really fast if I don't keep working out so it's hard to say if my muscles are just weaker due to the lack of exercise (a month or so) or because of something else.

Now, as you all may know, anxiety starts kicking in when these things occur so it is very difficult to keep a straight mind. So now I'm noticing my speech being off -- not sure if it's in my head though.

Can someone describe the type of twitching / spasms that occur during ALS? I know it's hard to describe via text but anything helps. Thank you so much! Happy New Year! :)

Weakness is the main effect of ALS. Weakness without pain, numbness or any weird sensation. Twitching means nothing on its own. Twitching can be something as simple as fatigue, not drinking enough water or vitamin deficiency. Or it could be nothing. There is even a condition benign fasciculation syndrome. Go see your family doctor if you are worried and stay away from Dr. Google.
Vincent

Thank you so much for your prompt response! I've always been quick to lose muscle (even though Ive always exercised) so I was a bit weary since I felt like my legs looked like they were less muscular than normal (not really any atrophy though).

I don't really have a lot of pain, though sometimes my muscles feel pain / like fatigued so I will definitely stay away from Dr. Google until I can see my doctor.

The mind is truly a powerful beast and it's easy to start something and run with it. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back