Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
IR
City
Leinster
Hello everyone. Just wondering people’s thoughts on this. I have a small bit of muscle weakness in my left leg around the calf which started a few weeks ago but recently my calf has begun twitching in the calf and down along the back of my leg into my foot. I can see the left calf muscle has shrunk considerably. Over the last few days my right calf has started to twitch a small bit as well but nothing much. While my calf feels weak it also feels a bit swollen like there is fluid in it but it’s not swollen or any pain, just constricted. I still have power in it and can go up on my toes heels etc but I just wondering that it feels considerably weaker in the last 10 days or so.
A number of other issues would be Iv lost a lot of weight recently by choice but also for various reasons not been very active either. I wonder would that play any part in the muscle getting smaller as the right calf (which is my dominant leg hasn’t lost any that I can see). Thank you for your patience with this post

Hi Duggo,

Sorry you are having these troubles... doesn't sound at all like ALS though. I'm presuming you read the two "Important, Read before posting!" notes above your post. My advice to you would be to take a few minutes and read the 10 or so posts right below yours in this thread. You will see all the kind responses from folks here that have largely addressed precisely what you are describing. Take good care, Jon

Jon, thanks for your reply. It’s kind of you. I saw the read before posting but didn’t see that many. I can’t seem to find it again. Thanks again and I hope you are well

If you look at the could I have ALS subforum page you will see the important posts and the regular threads. If you are reading this scroll up and below the green new posts you will see could I have ALS click it to go to the whole subforum.
if you lose weight without exercising you will lose muscle If you have concerns about your health your first stop should always be your real life doctor not mr google

Thanks again I suppose I was more worried about the muscle atrophy and the twitching. The muscle change is noticeable on the left calf and a small bit on the thigh down coming into the knee. I was wondering does the muscle weakness leading from the atrophy lead into the lack of been able the function as normal. Say foot raise. I know it does and that’s the logical part but then the twitching scared me. When I got the foot raise I feel tightness and achy feeling from a small amount over the Achilles’ tendon up to the bottom of the calf.
I just suppose I’m more worried as a colleague of mine was recently diagnosed and he’s my age with same family situation and it scared me. Again I apologise for all of this if I’m wasting your time. I appreciate the effort. Thanks again

Hi there, you are wasting your own time on a disease you do not have. I'll be blunt here- who the heck cares about twitching?! Everyone twitches from time to time. Further, weakness does not come from atrophy; atrophy comes from no longer being able do something. For example, a muscle is no longer able to function and, as a result of it no longer being used, it atrophies. If your calf is tight when you raise up on your toes, try a stretching regime and that should alleviate any tightness. In any case, time is precious so stop wasting yours chasing terminal illnesses.

Good luck to you.

Bestfriends14, thank you for your blunt answer, I really appreciate it. I needed to be told. You have explained something to me that I couldn’t get my mind around. I can now. Thanks again

I don't see you mention having seen a doctor?
Surely if you thought you have a terminal disease you would see a doctor rather than ask strangers on the internet?
We've given you the important posts, which answer you, and given you a number of personal replies.
Now see a doctor and let us know the diagnosis. Until then I think that's about it for what we can do.

I saw my family doctor and he sent me for a lumbar MRI. Referred me to a neurosurgeon who said there is nothing wrong with my back but can’t say why the weakness and twitching so is sending me for a nerve compression test on my peroneal nerve. Twitching is still there constantly, it never goes away and now in my right lower leg but no weakness there. Left leg is still weak around the foot and ankle and I had lost power in my left big toe but this has now come back to nearly full strength.

All good then, twitching means absolutely nothing so don't let that worry you no matter how often you twitch.
ALS loss of function never comes back so again, nothing in your descriptions flag anything of worry to us.
Definitely go back to your doctor with any concerns so you have have a clinical examination which we cannot do.

I am sorry about this but can I ask a separate question on behalf of a friend of mine. I had told no one about my symptoms apart from my wife. I subsequently the other day told a friend of mine after I saw the neurosurgeon who said he was going through the same thing. Hes worried about his left hand. He has feeling of weakness in his thumb but has lost no power but he says it’s considerably weaker and if he brings his thumb towards his little finger the muscle under the thumb twitches for a second or two. I told him that from what I have found out from here twitching means nothing and that the thumb would have to stop functioning for there to be a problem. Am I correct with an upper limb issue. Is it the same as lower limb.
Thank you for all you patience and kindness again in advance and I wish you all the best.

As with lower limb onset in upper limb twitching means nothing and is characterized by muscle failure. There are a number of muscles involved in moving the thumb and they would not all fail simultaneously. However there would be some loss of power. Your friend should see a doctor of course

Duggo, please understand that this forum can't be used in place of a doctor. If your friend is worried about something, they need to speak with a doctor first. If they have questions specific to their own experience, it's best they don't have people posting on forums on their behalf- mostly because it diverts from your questions about yourself and muddies the waters a bit.

TBH I think that if you and a friend are having very similar symptoms, this finally rules out ALS. The chances you have it were incredibly rare, the chance that you and your friend develop it at the same time ... less than zero.
Please don't come back here unless it is to tell us you have a diagnosis which will be useful for others in the future to see what it was as it isn't ALS. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back