Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IN
City
muncie
In June of this year I started to experience pain and stiffness in neck and muscle between neck and shoulder that would come an go. I also had joint paint in my elbows and wrist as well my hands that would also come and go. Then I started in July to have pain in my lower ribs that was sore to touch also would come and go but seems to hang around more days then not now. In August I was diagnosed with Trigeminal neuropathy. In September I started to have muscle weakness and twitching all over my body. My voice from time to time is horse. I have every blood test come back normal an MRI of my brain and neck along with a CT of my head and neck all come back normal. I had NCS/Emg as well. NCS found slow ulnar nerve and slow peroneal nerve with normal muscle function. Waiting on appointment with my neurologist to talk about nerves. I am very nervous waiting on the appointment and was wondering if anyone out there may have advice, thoughts or similar problems.

Also wanted to add that most of the problems tend to be worse on the left side of my body. The pain that started in neck and shoulder area with awful pain under left side collar bone. Stiffness on both sides but worse on left. When I exercise my legs the left leg gets numbness and tingling after about 15mins but the numbness goes away after stopping. The next day after exercise the left leg always feels weak. I have also started to have pain in hip joints and random feelings of shooting burning pain down sides of both of my shins.

I am not sure how trigeminal neuralgia enters into what you've described -- that's about facial pain.

At any rate, while you may have some kind of neuropathy, as suggested by the NCS, it's the EMG that tells the tale in ALS and yours was normal. So you're in the wrong place here -- a very good thing. With your neurologist, I would check into therapeutic massage (properly masked and other precautions) and physical therapy -- ditto. In consultation with the PT, daily range of motion exercises are something you can do at home and stop before any numbness. I would also consider a latex mattress topper and there are special shoes for peripheral neuropathy to reduce the pain.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for advice. It has been a long road for me with few answers. I have been worried that maybe the EMG was done to early and only being done on my left arm and leg may not show all the signs. You have eased my mind about the results. Thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back