Mtoscano

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi,

I’m 22, male, and recently had been feeling some tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. I was initially worried about MS but it has since become a fatigue in my right hand and forearm. I was paranoid about the numbness and had been flexing my right thumb a lot, as well as pressing my pinky finger to my thumb hard (started that Thursday) and frequently and doing those strength tests. I had my reflexes and strength looked at on Tuesday and they were normal and symmetrical. Since, I am having small churning type spasms in my elbow muscle and more fatigue/tightness in the forearm. My dexterity is functional but feels a tiny bit lessened. My anxiety has convinced me it’s ALS because of the fatigue and localized elbow spasms. Is it?

Hello-

If you could read this: Read Before Posting

It explains a variety of things and addresses such things as numbness, tingling, etc. and why that points away from ALS. It's clear you are aware you have health anxiety and I am hoping you are also addressing that. Have you visited a doctor for a physical exam? That would be your first step.

Take care

thanks! I did read that but my worry is that it’s coincidental.

Please visit with your doctor to get a clinical assessment if you are not reassured here. There's not much more we can provide you in the way of reassurance other than the facts laid out in the link provided. When you start doubting those facts and are conducting self assessments that may actually be adding to your physical discomfort it's time to address your anxiety surrounding your health.

Please take care

We can't do anything to reassure you because you won't believe your doctor I'm afraid.
You truly don't have any ALS symptoms no matter what you are obsessively convincing yourself.
I would like to strongly encourage you to have an open discussion with your doctor about your deep fears as that is something that can be addressed and helped, and this may honestly help find the cause for your physical symptoms as currently your fears are possibly going to cloud a path to solving them. I hope you can get this sorted quickly.

I visited my neurologist about a month ago and upon very preliminary neuro and strength tests she said everything was fine.

That said, in the past couple days the tightness/fatigue in my right arm and (at least perceived) weakness in my right pinky has returned. Additionally, I’m feeling something similar in the right leg now. I’ve noticed that the muscle around the right pinky base feels slightly smaller than the left. I’m right handed so this is scary. I’m still having twitches all over, eyelids, legs. abdomen even, but noticing them particularly in the right elbow/arm and right leg in the last couple days.

I haven’t been dropping things or stumbling, but given this all started about 2 months or so ago, I’m terrified that’s next.

I don’t know what to do, I’m debilitated by worry, I’m only 22, it can’t be my time yet

My neurologist didn’t do any major tests but I go in for an EMG on tuesday. I’m scared that won’t put me at ease if normal because I’ve heard of people having normal emgs then going back in and being diagnosed. When I saw the neurologist a month ago I wasn’t concerned about ALS specifically because the fatigue feeling and perceived weakness had stopped, but it’s back, in another place as well, and I’m more scared than ever

If you are cleared by your emg and your neurologist as I think you will be go to your PCP and ask for help. If you don’t believe the neurologist as Tillie said there is nothing we can do for you here

1: It’s not that I don’t believe my neurologist, it’s that I think it takes time to actually decide anything determinative re: ALS or not

2: the thing that worries me is that it’s different/awkward to grip things with my left pinky than my right.

3: I can only not worry when I know it’s not ALS. Until then I can’t not be consumed by it.

4: You are all very wonderful, prayers to all of you who have been affected by this disease in any way, my experience has brought me a new appreciation for all of you.

I'm so sorry you are so consumed by unfounded fear.
You need to go back to your PCP and discuss how much the fear is overtaking you as this can be treated.

You don't have long to wait now for the EMG, so do all you can to make the most of these next few days as you wait because you will never get them back no matter what happens next.

I hope you will believe the EMG results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back