Not open for further replies.

dh6367

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I am 22 years old, male, with no immediate family members suffering from a neurological disorder. Starting last week, I began waking up with numb ring and pinky fingers, and occasionally the entire hand completely numb. This would diminish upon getting up. On my drive to work, I noticed that my grip on the wheel felt weak, but I had no trouble actually holding on. This effected both hands, and sometimes one more pronounced than the other but never extremely so.

This general feeling of sluggish fingers and hand weakness have persisted for the last week. In fact, the main finger sluggishness is in my index finger and thumb, but this is likely because they are used the most. The feeling is present in all fingers. It should be noted that I can still grip heavy objects. I can also manipulate things like keys and buttons, but my fingers feel slow and awkward, so I need to concentrate more when doing these activities. Twirling a fork at dinner last night was more difficult than normal, but I couldn’t tell if I was imagining that to be the case. Same goes for handwriting and typing. It feels like my coordination is worse, similar to how your fingers feel untying laces in the cold.

My arms up to the shoulders have at times and now generally feel weak, but their strength is still normal. I also have felt a bit awkward with my balance at times, as well as perceived dragging of my feet, but again I couldn’t notice any significant loss of ability.

I haven’t had any fasciculations anywhere at any point. My primary concern is over the sluggish/weak feeling in both sets of my fingers, hands and arms. Does ALS present with sluggishness and lack of coordination in the digits of your hand? In both hands at once?

I understand it is exceedingly rare for someone of my age to be affected by this disease, yet I am struggling to put it out of my mind.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Hello there- we ask that people coming here read this first: Read Before Posting

Your next step would be to make an appointment with your doctor so you can explain to them what you are experiencing and so they can examine you. What you are posting about appears to be sensory- it feels weak- but you are not reporting change in function. ALS is a disease of loss of function. This should reassure you with regards to ALS. What the trouble might be is something you will have to work out with your doctor though.

Take care

Shiftkicker, thank you for your response. I have gone ahead and read the linked page, which I had skimmed before. The presence of my symptoms in both hands simultaneously is what’s making me doubt ALS, along with the lack of failure and sensation of stiffness bordering on pain.

I suppose it’s possible I have a trapped nerve or something like that, but I know that this isn’t the place for a discussion on that topic.

I would like to hear from others, but it seems as though there probably isn’t much more to say. Thanks again

I second what Shiftkicker has stated. You have nothing that points to ALS and everything that points away from it, i.e. sensory issues. That's terrific news.

Good luck to you and all the best.

You are right, there really isn't anything more to say.
You don't describe clinical weakness, just feelings of weakness. PALS don't feel weak.
All the very best, please see a doctor, I don't notice you mention doing that, it is the very first thing you need to do.

Waking up with hand numbness that gets better suggests reconsidering your pillow and mattress. If all is good on the sleep front, ruling out nerve damage secondary to repetitive motions like keyboarding is the next step -- which, of course, requires a doctor.

Best,
Laurie

To everyone above who responded, I wanted to say thank you for taking the time. I was able to trace down these feelings to sleep posture and stress. I sincerely appreciate your responses and have you all in my prayers.

Glad to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back