00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi everyone,

I am grateful for your time and energy in answering worriers like myself. I was attempting not to post but I have been making myself sick with worry for months. I am 27 years old.

I have twitching, perceived weakness in right arm, right hand, left ring finger feels jammed, some cramping in legs. I guess what concerns me most out of my symptoms though is the fact that I have been experiencing this popping feeling in my shoulders for the past three months- it appears to be worse in my right - almost like I can pop it in and out if I move in certain positions and my shoulders generally don't feel smooth in movement and they feel slightly tired. I can still left my arms above my head without any trouble and haven't noticed real weakness... I have however noticed that my arms look much smaller than they ever had.. yet I really don't think I have dropped that much weight - in fact I have gained 4 pounds. I know from reading this forum that this popping can be caused by atrophy.. but I guess I am just looking for reassurance... would onset of shoulders be like this? Would I have noticeable weakness if I had atrophy ? Would I have an abnormal arm reflex?

I will also note that I have seen 3 doctors - GP, Sports Medicine Doctor and Interanlist.. all believe nothing is wrong and asked me if I was an athlete because they believe I am VERY strong. Therefore no clinical weakness. I also asked the SMD and Internalist to look for atrophy in arms/shoulders they did not see any.

Do I trust them? How much should I worry about this popping? I am happy to accept this as anxiety induced and tight muscles as the sports medicine doctor has diagnosed but I was just deeply frightened by that one post I read...

I will see a Neuro next month.. but really don't want to be more worked up than I need to be..

Thanks for your love and support.. you are all stronger than I could ever be.

xx

First off, please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

The shoulder is the most mobile joint in the human body. It is prone to instability and injury. If someone has even a slightly slumped posture, that can throw the shoulders off over time. Popping just means there is a degree of joint instability or wear and tear. My advice would be to get a referral for physical therapy.

I would trust the doctors you saw.

Perceived weakness, twitching, and sensory symptoms are not ALS. As long as your function is maintained and you have no clinical weakness, then ALS is not a concern.

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. You have no idea how much your reply means to me. I probably have the tendency to take the things I read out of context... so atrophy and weakness do in fact go hand in hand? I assume after three months of this clicking I would have noticed weakness? Especially if the clicking is atrophy caused ?

Peace and love to you always.

Sometimes asymmetry is perceived as atrophy. Almost everyone has some degree of asymmetry.
Atrophy can result from mechanical imbalances, injury, arthritis, localized nerve issues. Most atrophy is not from ALS.
Only a doctor examining you can diagnose true atrophy, and sports medicine doctors are generally pretty good at this.
If someone does have true atrophy, most likely there will also be weakness. But again, what I said above applies.

I don’t see too much a-symmetry.. I guess my primary concern would be that type of als which onset’s bilaterally. I just feel my arms look allot thinner and shoulders more boney. I’m not seeking out dents etc. This coupled with the clicking has me in a state.

I have even began taking medication because I am so upset.

Yes, I agree with you.. I felt that this might be the sports medicine doctors area of knowledge... I suppose we must listen to our doctors no matter the doubt that creeps in.

Sorry to bug everyone but I am DEEPLY a mess about this.. I can't focus at work, I can't eat or drink because I am scared it feels like It is going to go into my nose.. I am obsessively checking my nose for evidence of food or beverages.. I can't sleep because if I lean on my arm and hear it crack I have panic attacks... I hate speaking because my jaw seems to stiffen ( I have TMJ - but now I relate everything to ALS)

I would deeply appreciate your guidance in telling me if this sounds like ALS... if it does what is your guidance?

Is this what a typical onset would look like?

How likely is it that it begin with cracking/popping as opposed to weakness?

Is it typical that it would onset in two arms at once?

Lillypad, you've already had someone answer your questions here. You've also had 3 different doctors tell you "no" as well. This forum primarily exists to support those diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers. This small subforum is here to answer a few basic questions, but is not intended to be used as anxiety support.

There are other forums with that goal and who have a large group of peers who can help with support during episodes of health anxiety. If you are unable to stop focusing on ALS, despite what the doctors are telling you and the people here are telling you, you MUST seek out proper attention for your obviously debilitating anxiety. Folks with ALS and their caregivers should not be used for this purpose. Please understand they come here to get support themselves.

My apologies... I guess I am just worried as I just don’t know what could cause these shoulder symptoms other than wasting as I didn’t severely injure myself.. I was just hoping to get some feedback on if this would be a typical presentation of shoulder onset...I am also beginning to notice this popping in my hips but to a much lesser extent. I know I should trust my doctors... but unfortunately I’ve read too many posts here saying they never diagnose als properly and it takes months...

Joint popping is not a presenting feature of ALS. Nearly everyone will have some degree of joint popping during the course of their life.

We’ve already answered this question for you. Please work with your doctors. This forum is not the place for you.

Hi all you amazing humans,

I just wanted to write an update... I am sorry to post again. Since I last wrote I’ve had two neuro appointments... first one I had a clean physical exam and the neuro did not suspect anything. Fast forward to the next... i began getting calf cramps ( which I’ve never had) not extremely painful like a Charlie horse but more tight feeling.. my legs feel a bit clumsy.. lots of shaking in hands and legs. I’m still twitching. I also have a stiff jaw but I do have tmj. My neuro is still not concerned but i did present with brisk reflexes diffusely? All over? She didn’t explain this. But I am now getting an emg come November.

I was very terrified last night as I raised my voice and ended up losing it a bit. Today I just feel a tickle in my throat.. no real loss .. I even screamed and sang as a test.

I guess what really scares me is the reflexes.. my neuro didn’t explain it to me. I’m a bit of a mess... is it ok that they changed? I’m really scared

I’ll note I live with ocd, anxiety, panic disorder.

Thanks for your help,

Diffuse brisk reflexes. Normal variant not to worry. And they are more likely to show up with anxiety

please don’t post again until you have emg results. I am confident they won’t show ALS

Diffuse brisk reflexes. Normal variant not to worry. And they are more likely to show up with anxiety

please don’t post again until you have emg results. I am confident they won’t show ALS
Thanks Nikki,

I won’t post again.. this means allot to me. I’m sorry to bother you. In Canada doctors don’t explain anything.

Warmest wishes to you

I will also note that I’m a therapist and if this all ends up being psychosomatic ( bfs) stuff - I am going to write a paper on the correlation between anxiety and these types of symptoms! Maybe get some of us worriers out of here

Lillypad, please wait to post further, as requested. Thank you.

Updating post emg... I got an emg done by a tech.. not sure why this was the case and not the actual neuro. I didn't truly get results yet from the neuro but was told no ALS by the tech. Should I be relieved? I live in Canada and not sure if this is standard that a tech can do this type of test...I am just wondering if they would truly know what they were looking for.. is ALS that pronounced on the emg? Just nervous to get happy before I should...

I get results from my neuro on November 28th but was told by the neuro whose office conducted EMG that they will be sending my results on to family doctor and neuro today.. do you think I can talk to them about getting information earlier?

Clearly- I have major anxiety and this is ruining my life to wait around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back