Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
I am a 37 year old female experiencing some strange symptoms and am hoping to have someone weigh in as to whether this sounds ALS as I am unable to get in to see a physician until March due to Covid and am driving myself crazy with anxiety.

I should note that I am not prone to health anxiety normally but lost my grandfather to ALS recently so am definitely more prone to see zebras than horses when I hear hoofbeats these days.

Four years ago during my first pregnancy, I had very severe sciatica and lost the feeling in my lower left leg. I regained some feeling after delivery but still have a substantial numb patch extending down my shin/outer leg into my ankle. I occasionally have worried about the fact that feeling has still not returned, but have been told by my doctor that nerve regeneration can be very slow.

About six weeks ago I began experiencing persistent twitches and spasms only in the numb area, and the numbness/coldness and feeling of weakness has extended into my left foot. While I can still do everything that I normally do (which I know points away from ALS), I am concerned as I have read that peripheral neuropathy - and associated twitches - can be a signal of ALS.

I appreciate your insights and wish you all the best.

Hi there- I am hoping you've read this: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

I don't think I've heard of peripheral neuropathy being associated with ALS- they're two entirely different things. Please have a read of the above link to reassure yourself.

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather- that can be very traumatizing. Along with health anxiety and nerve issues associated with sciatica, this loss can be a recipe for fear of ALS. I am hoping you're seeing a physiotherapist to help with your hips/back/leg and maybe also seeing someone who can help you process your grief and anxiety.

Thank you so much for your very kind and helpful reply. Prior to covid I was regularly seeing both a physical therapist and massage therapist for sciatica treatment; this is a good nudge to get back to it and to seek some mental health support for anxiety. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back