Mia89

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
NO
Hello.
I'm from Norway, so sorry for my poor English. I know you are not doctors, but I would like to hear your views. I lost my father-in-law to this disease. Now my best friend has been referred to a neurologist, so I'm anxious and scared.
She has struggled with severe health anxiety for many years unfortunately. But in July 2019, she got twitching all over her body. Not all day 24/7, but something every day. She became very scared and went to two different doctors. They said it was because of her anxiety. After a few months, she began measuring her legs and found a difference of 0.5 cm in one leg. She also felt that the pants were looser around the knee and calf on that leg. The doctor said that it is not considered an inequality once, because our bodies are not equal. She still has a bit of twitching every day. She can walk on her heels, toes and jump. But she experiences various things from the body. Twitching, feels the leg she thinks is thinner is often colder, sometimes when she bends forward she has felt that she gets an electric shock in the back and one hand feels numb at times. Her babinski reflex (?) And other neurological tests at the GP are normal, but she was finally referred to a neurologist because she feels many symptoms and can not calm down that this may be anxiety. My question is: Can this be anything other than ALS if it is a disease? Are there other diseases that cause twitching and everything else I write that she experiences? What can the "electric shock" in the back / neck be?

Most likely she has a spinal disk problem, which are very common and often responds to physio. The odds of having ALS are much lower to start with and lower still considering her issues. I am sure the visit will be reassuring.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for being concerned for your friend, hopefully you can help her work through this.
There are so many other diseases that could cause all this, and ALS is really not one of them without and actual clinical weakness.

Try reading here, it should help you help your friend to stay calm while the doctors work through the diagnostic process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back