Not open for further replies.

ladyannabel

Country
US
State
IA
City
Ottumwa
Hi, This is my first post. I am scheduled to have an EMG and nerve conduction studies Dec 13. I am really scared as I heard these tests were quite painful. Can anyone set my mind at ease about the procedure?

I am also, of course, afraid of the outcome, but there is nothing anyone on this forum can do about that except to pray that I don't have ALS. Thanks all and nice to meet you fine people.

I have had 3 emg/ncv so far, I wouldn't worry about pain of it. It's uncomfortable but not to bad. Welcome to the forum ladyannabel. I to wish you a non als outcome.

It depends where on your body they are testing. I have 3 emg/nvc and they weren't too bad until they started on the inside of my hips. That was truely painful. But it only lasts for a short time. And you know the old saying no pain no gain? Hopefully it will give you the answers you need. Good luck, I wish you a promising outcome.

Hello Annabel-

Welcome. I will speak "woman to woman"- having had two EMG's I can tell you with the greatest confidence- it's no worse than a bikini wax.
(sorry fellas). Truly- you will be just fine.

Will send good thoughts your way on December 13th. Please do come back and let us know.

Hello, Lady A: Sorry you have to go through this EMG thing, and hopefully it will not be ALS. Yes, the EMG is not the most pleasure that I have experienced, but certainly it is not the most pain that I have endured either. Give me an EMG any day rather than an enduring tooth ache ! ! I am eternally grateful the EMG discovered my ALS early on; that has been a Godsend. Many of our friends were not adequately diagnosed until well into ALS progression. With early detection I could, with the help of my local ALS chapter, the Paralized Veterans Association, the Multiple Sclerosis Association, and the wonderful and most attentive staff at the Emory ALS Department, to address what lies ahead and how to prepare for the situation in the most appropriate manner for me personally. Again, hopefully you are not tagged with this thing. God bess you and keep us informed of your status. We are your friends and are here to help anyway we can.

Last edited:
Ladyannabel - Please don't worry about the pain associated with an EMG. I'm not saying it's painless, but it is certainly easily bearable and only lasts an instant. Good luck!

Best of luck Annabel. My husband has had many and he is big baby with pain and he hasn't found them too bad at all. What nice posts from Frank, Elaine, Phil and Vic--you are so compassionate and supportive.

Laurel

Thank you everyone. I will try not to worry about it. (and I have never had a bikini wax, Elaine, so I don't know what that's like) ;)

Welcome to the forum:
I am new myself. The nuro I used said all the doctors do it to each other for practice. It was uncomfortable like explained above. The needles in the muscles was slightly irritating, But My mind was on the different sounds and the voice of the doctor. So all in all not too bad. I do hope you come out with a clean bill of health.

Blessings.
Kirk

adyannabel,

For me the EMG was not painful. The electrode is very very thin, not like hypodermic needles, and the process is very quick. I was worried about it. In advance of the EMG, the tech told me the electrodes were thin like acupuncture needles. I haven't had acupuncture, but that relaxed me because I figured acupuncture should be painless. That was an apt analogy too. Maybe describing the process might ease your worries. I was supine on a padded examination table. The doctor inserted a recording electrode in a muscle. I felt his touch but much of the time I didn't notice the electrode insertion. He had me push against his hand to activate the relevant muscle while he recorded activity, which I could hear. Then on to the next spot. The only one that hurt a little was when I tensed a muscle in my arm that has atrophied due to ulnar entrapment, but even that was so brief and wasn't bad. As for the nerve conduction test, the electrodes are placed external on the skin so no pain there. They deliver a brief electrical pulse that can cause a muscle twitch. That's an odd feeling, but I didn't find it painful at all. I have no worries about having repeat tests if the need arises now that I know what to expect. Hope that helps some.

Bob

Ladyannabel,
The EMG and nerve conduction are uncomfortable, not necessarily painful. I am deathly afraid of needles, so for me the real agony was spending a couple hours (3 different times!) having them jammed into my arms, legs, hands, feet, tongue and face. I was sweating like Rosie O'Donnel at a buffet! Without that phobia, you'll come out wondering why you spent so much time worrying about the possible pain.

I agree with Ottowa Girl, it is remarkably similar to a bikini wax! Which, by the way, I must admit was a tremendously emotional and hair-raising experience. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back