Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MI
City
Lansing
Hello. I am a 37 year old female and worried about some of my odd symptoms. I have had right hand and arm weakness in the last 5-6 months but much much worse over the last two weeks. I still have most of my strength but it’s harder to do normal daily things like my hair or hold my child for too long. I have an odd sensation throughout my arm (the only way that I know how to describe it is that it feels like a tickle sensation and almost like when your arm is asleep and getting close to being back to normal). I have had hand twitching (near the pinky) on my left side for 13 months now nonstop, although I actually thought it got a little better this last month. It then moved to my right hand (the weak one) and happens here and there. In the last month I have had twitching all over my body, probably hundreds of times a day.

I do have a bad back with herniated discs, arthritis, and spinal stenosis. I have had periods of time where these back issues knocked me down for a few days but never hand weakness. Im a pretty healthy person, very motivated, and have a PhD in psychology. I’m very aware at what anxiety can do as I regularly work with clients who experience health anxiety.

I have had numbness in the weak hand and arm since I was pregnant with my first child 6 years ago. The doctor never really said what it was.

I do have a nerve velocity test this Friday but anxious because I have heard it doesn’t pick up on ALS.
I’m so nervous as I have two small children. Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi there-

Sorry you find yourself here and worried about ALS. It sounds like you're seeking appropriate medical care for your concerns and are on the right track with regards to what's causing your symptoms. You report a lot of sensory issues, which points away from ALS (which is a motor issue). Twitching is such a general symptom, despite what the internet tells people, and can be a sign of so many different issues.

Make sure to read here Read Before Posting, as it contains a great deal of info and may serve to reassure.

Good luck with your NCV test on Friday. Hopefully it will provide you and your doctor with some information about what's going on.

Take care

Sorry you are experiencing this.

Can you sit down with a colleague and work through your anxiety. You know how much difference it makes to have a totally subjective professional walk you through it all.

Remember that you need to let the doctors follow the trail they see clinically, not the one you see out of fear.

All the best.

WM21, we’ve seen this so many times before… young Moms with
little ones who begin to worry about their health and may not be
able to care for them or worse.

“I’m so nervous as I have two small children.”

You are very aware at what anxiety can do as you work with clients
who experience health anxiety.

You’re saying you are nervous… what else is that called? You know.

Work with your doctors and I hope the curable path comes soon so
you can enjoy life with your little ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back