Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
Worried I may have ALS.

First I should start by saying I have been extremely stressed and have had strong anxiety over the last 6 months. Most days I have these feelings. I am a 26 year old male.

I then started having twitching and swelling on my finger (that has now stopped). The twitching then moved to my left thigh and then a day later to my right thigh (at the same time). 2 days later it went to both my arms. The twitching normally stops when I am not using the muscle (not always though). Also muscles never twitch in more then one place at the same time, they could just pop up in any limb.

All of the limbs mentioned feel tired however I am still able to use them fully.

Now currently I have just started having a lump in my throat particularly after eating solids. Plus my jaw gets tired and aches. Neck feels tight and aches.

does it sound like symptoms of als ?

thank you for answering!

Sorry I meant the twitching usually starts when I am not using the muscle !

Please read here as it answers all your questions.
Nope, nothing like ALS is the great answer!
You don't mention a doctor, I would suggest that is the best place to start.

Thank you for the reply ! That is really helpful. All the symptoms have developed over space of 2 weeks ! The feeling of something stuck on my throat is what is causing the most concern. I can chew and eat and drink fine just feels like there is something always in my throat, mucus kind of feeling

Hi James-

We always recommend you visit with your doctor if you are experiencing worries about your health. It's not clear you have done so. If you read the link Tillie provided you, you should see that while many people come to this forum after searching for twitching online, it's not ALS unless accompanied by other specific symptoms- none of which you report. If, after you read the link, you are still worried, a visit to the doctor is your best bet. They can reassure you better than strangers on the internet.

Take care

Thanks everyone. I have booked to go to the doctor ! My symptoms seem to keep changing, lump in throat has gone, as has any swallowing issues. I am however slurring certain words, this is not consistent however and I am able to say any slurred phrases when i focus. I seem to be tripping over my words. Hopefully doctor will clarify.

Let us know after you see a doctor, they will know how to examine you and what is a true concern and the directions to take. Don't ask if you have ALS, let your doctor work out the diagnostic path. Good luck.

Thanks and will do ! Generally speaking do bubular speech issues present like this ? So strange as started on my legs and now moved to mouth but have no weakness on legs.

No.
Leave it now to ask all these of your doctor at a physical examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back