Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
So I am really worried that I have ALS. I am a 26 year old male. I struggle with severe anxiety and depression. It started of with some jerks and twitches in my legs about a month ago, often when I was about to sleep, and I just attributed it to stress and hypogonic jerks. But the jerks and twitches seemed to get worse.

Also I was walking and bicycling alot, but frustrated that I the muscles in my legs didnt get stronger or tighter, and when I was bicycling just a slight uphill for a few minutes I would get exhausted in my legs. The twitches got worse, and now I have twitches all over my body: my legs, my arms, my feet, my hands, my face, my stomach, my back, everywhere, every day, pretty often. Sometimes I just get one twitch at a time in one single area, other times all over my body several times. Some are small and last only a second others are larger and lasts a little longer, visible to the naked eye.

I off course googled this and found ALS, and got terrified. The symptoms got worse. I seem to drag my feet across the ground sometimes when I walk, I have done this before, but now it seems more frequent. Also my grip feels weaker, I notice I lose things, and I am more clumsy than usual; I managed to bump a glass with my hand so it fell to the floor and broke, and when I write on my smartphone I constantly press the wrong letters, my coordination feels off, I notice that I constantly bump into things with my hands and arms, and when I walk I notice I flail with my arms so my hands touches my protruding pockets, also notice that I bump into elevated surfaces with my toes a lot, like I am not lifting my foot high enough.

Whenever I flex my muscles, only slightly, like if I fold my hands a little tight, my arms start to tremble and tremor, even now when I am typing this my left arm is trembling, the trembling goes away when I let the arm relax. Also I slur my speech sometimes, with certain words, or I pronounce them weirdly. I feel like the muscles in my arms and legs have gotten smaller, and they all feel sloppy and soft. I have severe fatigue all the day, and I am yawning a lot. The little finger on my left hand looks a little crooked. I have had trouble sleeping, and wake up to twitches in my body. Also have these really nasty pains in my body, especially in my feet, they are really sharp and terrible, and often when I get them I feel chills/gooseflesh in my back and arms.

I also have some pain in my fingers and legs. My muscles feel stiff a lot of the time, like when I move my arm or leg it feels like they are made of tight rubber, the stiffness comes and goes.

I am pretty convinced I have this disease, I went to a neurologist and she did some physical test with reflexes and strength, and said she didnt suspect ALS, though she said my muscles were tense, and said it could be anxiety, but I am afraid that she didnt find anything cause its too early in the progression.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't work like that. With all the stuff you think is going on, if you had ALS, your exam wouldn't have been normal. So I'm convinced the other direction.

Anxiety and depression compromise sleep, and lack of refreshing sleep compromises everything else, from fatigue to twitching to clumsiness. I'd go back to your primary care doc, who can help you sort this out. And whoever is helping you with anxiety and depression, needs to know how you're feeling. If your current resources aren't up for this, switch it up. There are thousands of options in NYC, and you can feel better. But it starts with you.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply!

I have been to primary care and he did some blood test, all normal, except Creatinine was a little low, 0.57, which was a little alarming, heard this could be related to muscle atrophy. The twitches happen most when I lay down or sit, and happen almost every day when i lay in bed in the morning even though I have slept a lot. The twitching mostly happen in my legs and arms.

Trying to trust the words of the neurologist, but still worried since symptoms don't go away, and seem to get a little worse. Also my balance is off, I feel like I am slightly rocking when I am standing, like I am standing on a moving boat, and can feel myself flex my thigh muscles to gain balance.

I am talking with my psychiatrist about this, but it doesnt calm me down much, started some antidepressants but doesnt do much yet, hopefully it will change after a while.

I wm sorry you feel this way. You are not remotely describing ALS. To worry about a slightly low creatinine and decide you have atrophy when the neuro cleared you is not reasonable.

continue to work with your psychiatrist.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry that i am writing something again, I will try to make it the last. But I have noticed that my left arm feels weaker than the right, like when I am holding something as light as a soda can with it for prolonged time I get the urge to switch hand to relieve it, and when I am holding my phone with it in bed, it gets fatigued easily.

Also coordination feels off all the time, like missing door handles I am reaching for, constantly clicking and pressing wrong on my computer or phone. My legs easily feel tired and sore, and I easily get very tired and fatigued so I have to lay down. Several days have gone by and I still cant seem to get normal energy back. Certain activities feels harder to do, like turning keys and opening windows and water bottles, not that I cant do them, but it feels harder sometimes, like I am getting weaker, and I have observed that my left side seem to be the weaker one, though I am not sure. The twitching was mostly in my left arm, and I feel like the muscles there are slightly smaller. Though recently the twitching is more in my legs and around right eyebrow, but generally all over. I havent really noticed any clear evidence that being calm relieve the symptoms, so I dont know if its stress related.

Also get alot of strong buzzing feeling inside the muscles in the legs, sometimes feels like a stream inside my legs.

When I was holding the spatula while cooking, my thumb began hurting, like cramping or something, and had to loosen the grip to relieve the pain.

Have some itching all over body that feels strange, like someone is pricking me with needles.

Have alot of neck tension and pain, sometimes I bend my head to one side or downward, like I cant keep it up, dont know if do this on purpose. Still find myself dropping things almost daily.

I feel pretty scared, does this point more towards Als, should I Just wait and see how it develops and maybe ask for some neurological tests again, or just dismiss Als theory? Really appreciate your insight and advice, sorry I am being difficult.

No, everything you're saying points away.
I would ask to be screened for RLS/PLMD and check to see that your mattress and pillow are still doing their job.
I would also try recording your sleep. Some antidepressants can actually make it worse.
Finally, stretching morning and night can't hurt.

Still nothing like ALS, no it doesn't not point there even in the least. Please get help for your unreasonable anxiety and explain to your doctor that you keep asking terminally ill people to reassure you that you are fine. This is your biggest health issue that jumps out of your words here. All the very best, you can recover and live a wonderful life with help.

Still not describing ALS. Relax...

Please try addressing your anxiety and let go of this unhealthy obsession with having a terminal illness. You'll get farther, and eventually much better, once you speak to someone about your anxiety. Best to leave terminally ill people alone and not burden them with your issues. They have enough to deal with.

Adam, your Bio Reason says, "Learn About ALS"

You have been schooled by three extremely ALS knowledgeable members.
The lesson is over... you do not have ALS.

As you wrote signing off on your last post above... ".... sorry I am being difficult."

No reason to be that way any further... here.

I am really sorry, I am just struggling with these symptoms on a daily basis and really confused, they are really pervaisive. I know some of the symptoms stem from stress and anxiety, but i am not sure about all of it. Never experienced something like this before. Thank you all for your help and advice, I Will continue to talk with my doctor and psychiatrist to figure it out. Best wishes to all of you who are struggling with this awful disease that I cant get out of my mind. I am sorry for being a nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back