00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York City
Hello everyone,

Given that I am 20 years old, I know that the probability of me having ALS is extraordinarily low, but nonetheless I was hoping to get your opinion.

About a few months ago, I started noticing that I was beginning to lose dexterity in my right hand and writing clearly was becoming more difficult, but I thought nothing of it, until recently when the muscles in that hand began to become visibly smaller. From there, I started noticing that my legs were becoming tight and sore just from standing and walking around, and felt like they could buckle at any moment. These are still ongoing and bring me to my more recent symptoms. For the past few weeks, I have noticed that my right arm has felt almost limp, as if I am dragging it around with me, which is obviously surprising given that it is my dominant arm. The muscles, especially around near the inner elbow and the tricep have become extremely tight when they are used, to the point where holding my phone to my ear for too long has made the arm tight and painful for up to two weeks. Yet once they are relaxed again from extended rest, there is very low tension in the muscle compared to my other arm and it feels soft and smaller in size, which has contributed to the limpness feeling. I also noticed that while weight-lifting, the muscle on my right arm stopped fatiguing like normal during exertion, and instead just burned up and tightened minutes after a set. At this point, it seems that the size of the right arm has not atrophied to a point which would be clinically identifiable, but the arm becomes sore just from being held in the air or used to brush teeth.

I have also noticed twitching all over my body for the past few weeks, including the face, arms, abdomen, and legs. They are brief sporadic twitches without any pain. My jaw muscles have also become noticeably smaller and become sore quickly when I chew food. My doctors have suggested that my problems may be due to vitamin deficiency or potassium but blood tests have come up negative. They have also referred me to a physical therapist, but I am concerned about whether my issues are more neuromuscular in nature.

Once again, given my age I know how unlikely it is, but I wanted to hear your thoughts about whether I should pursue a neurological consultation or an EMG at this point as Juvenile onset is possible for my age. I appreciate the time reading my post!

Please read this if you have not already done so

ALS would not be likely to come on so rapidly in as many places as you describe. And soreness points away from ALS.
Please continue working with your doctor, but you’re in the wrong place here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back