Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Le sueuer
I don't mean to make anyone mad by posting on here but I have been worried about some symptoms I've been having for awhile. It all started with significant pain, which was all left sided. Chest, neck, at the elbow of my left arm, and the back of my left knee was super tight. It hurt to walk and I even limped for a short period of time. The severity of my knee tightness lightened up over time. But I can still feel it tighter than my right leg. What has made me believe I may have als, are the fasciculations I started having on my left thigh. Whenever I yawned, the left side of neck got really tight for a second before relaxing again. I don't think I have ever felt "ALS" weakness. The only thing I've had that concerned me was not being able to screw something in at work, my forearm started burning up like crazy. I'm 18 years old of age and I have a neuro this Monday but my concerns and anxiety is through the roof. I can also see some twitches near my left neck. Barely noticeable. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

God bless.

Nick,
Very doubtful you have anything to worry about, ALS least of all at your age. One-sided, multi-joint pain like that speaks more to sleeping position/cushioning, sports strain and/or some kind of un-ergonomic work activity. Massage and/or a hot tub soak could help. Since you have no real weakness, your neuro will likely tell you that all is well. Meanwhile, have a great weekend, appreciating all that you can do physically that few people here can.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for you're reply Laurie. I was just getting really worried. I've been in and out of the Doctor due to my pain and they haven't found anything unusual in my blood test, X-ray, etc. as I have read online. ALS is diagnosed when nothing else is and it includes muscle fasciculations which I am having that worries me the most. I haven't noticed any real weakness. I will be praying for everybody dealing with this terrible disease, may I ask you how you noticed weakness, Laurie?

Are you hydrated? With water not energy drinks? Do you stretch? How about sleep...are you getting 8 hours? I would address the needs and see where you are at..I bet things improve. Good luck

Yes I am hydrated. Before feeling like this I use to be big on lifting, I'm a typical healthy teenager, about 5'8, 160lbs. I haven't had a pop in about 4 years, I use to be a big healthy fanatic and then I started getting weird full aches on the left side of my body as I mentioned. I still eat healthy but haven't been in the gym since feeling sick, the aches and pains started about 3 months ago and I have had plenty of test, nothing has been diagnosed. Most recently my thigh or quad won't stop twitching. I went in to see my doctor and I told him my anxiety has probably been making it worse and he told me not to worry about ALS and that's when I got sent to see a neuro. It's really hard for me not to worry about ALS when that's all that I can link my fasciculations to. I have those weird twitches on my left thigh, left neck area, and my jaw gets tight for a second whenever I yawn. Any more feed back is appreciated, and again I don't seem to come off as annoying or ignorant. I'm not really sure where else to turn when everybody I talk to keeps telling me that I'm fine, but like I said. I was very healthy before my pain and now I can't seem feel "normal" again.

Nick, you haven't described any ALS symptoms, so I don't see why you came here. Twitches are not diagnostic: many conditions cause twitching. Healthy people twitch. I'm healthy--and twitch a lot--I consider my twitches kind of amusing. Maybe there is a problem there, but it isn't ALS. Only your doctor can find the truth.

I recently saw a database of 1800 ALS patients. The youngest was 27, and he was a statistical outlier, an anomaly. This disease is for 50-60 yro people. If an 18-year-old got ALS, he'd be in a book of world records. So let's be real.

You need to limit your research. The Internet is like StupidLand, don't go there. Limit your conversations about disease to people who have been to medical school and passed. It's crazy to ask people on the Internet if you have a rare, uncurable terminal illness.

Sorry you don't feel normal, but frankly, we can't help you.

In answer to your question, Nick, my husband's weakness was unequivocal; he was unable to lift his arms or rise from a seated position. You're nowhere near ALS onset.

Did you guys gradually get weakness? I'm just really worried. After 3 months of visiting doctors with no diagnosis and worsening symptoms that I can only trace to ALS, it keeps me up at night and very worried. I'm sorry I've had to come on here for support. Everyone else I go to says I'm fine.

<deleted four paragraphs>

Nick, you need to talk with your parents.

I have tried to let my symptoms go on and ignore them. But I have just been feeling worse. I feel as if I can never quiet get enough air, as far as twitching goes, I see a fine twitch in the same spot near my thumb. I can't feel it. Only see it. It's very hard to see. I've been getting depressed and not wanting to get out of bed. I realize it's basically impossible to get ALS at my age. But it could happen and I can't stop worrying..

Didn't you see a neurologist on the 22nd of February? What did she say?

He thoroughly checked me over, reflexes, snapped my neck back and forth seeing if anything caused me pain, he was mostly looking into a pinched nerve since I use to be so active, I have been feeling sick/weird for about 3 months going into 4 now. Most doctors shrug off ALS because of my age. He didn't send me to any EMGS or other nerve testing he said I was a healthy teenage guy. But I definitely don't feel healthy at all. I have a follow up this Friday where I will pose my ALS fear into them again. They can't find anything wrong with me but I don't feel well. The very fine twitching in my thumb is what's worrying me the most. Along with the trouble breathing.

Well, you'll have a better answer in 5 days then.

Does it sound like ALS at all? The very fine twitching my hand that I can see if I look hard enough.

Does it sound like ALS at all? The very fine twitching my hand that I can see if I look hard enough.

No. Nick. At the proposition that you might have ALS, I scoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back