Worried about ALS obviously as posting here. Has EMG said some things I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendel

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
NY
City
essex
Hi,
Thanks in advance for any comments or help.

Me: 41 year old male for info. otherwise normally in good health.

Situation: 3 years ago had all over twitching, burning etc.. went to Dr. they were not worried (I was obv.) eventually it went away.

2 months ago: Had funny breathing where my breathing kind of stuttered. It was harder to breath and sometimes it happened in like 3 steps like a cog espeically when lying down or if I pushed into my stomach. Had pain in stomach as well. This feeling comes and goes but I often found myself breathing through my mouth not nose which I never used to. Feels like my stomach twitches a lot (very low down). Has all over twitches then fasciation's in calves. Went to doctors they were not worried enough to send me to a neurologist (UK have to be referred). Toe feels weak in right foot but all test are fine.

1 month ago: Same as before so paid for EMG results attached.

Now: Face is now twitching and still some fascillations in calves, stomach feels odd twitch or weird. No tongue twitches. Breathing some days feel hard. Lots of spit in mouth. Face twitches and aches and I am clenching teeth a lot. No choking on food and speech is sort of OK I feel it is hoarse some days or I am slurring but wife says OK. Have bitten my tongue a but lately. Jaw aches a clicks a lot.

My doctors will not refer me to a neurologist and I am concerned above my EMG.

I just know that I feel very odd with my breathing and sometimes I nearly cry at sad things on TV a little more easily than I use to. I don't actually cry but get sudden urge then it instantly passes.

Obviously I am concerned about Bulbar onset ALS or any ALS tbh but my Doctor's do not want to listen, as they just say health anxiety over and over, they are known for being extremely late to refer patients to anything.

As I paid for just an EMG there wasn't much of an interpretation he just said all normal (it was late and last appointment). I got it today (attached) and it shows occasional polphasics which I am worried about and do not understand.

Any feedback is very gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• EMG Report Redacted.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 259
Occasional polyphasics are a normal variant. Your emg, as the interpretation said, showed no sign of ALS. I am sorry you are worried about symptoms but your wife you said noticed nothing, twitching is common and almost always benign and your doctor sees nothing of concern. There is really nothing else we can say except work with your doctor and if they have diagnosed health anxiety let them treat it.

Hi,
Thanks for a prompt reply I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me and understand that you have likely posted things like this a million times.

I have asked for help with anxiety, as I thought either way I will need it, but was told the waiting list for help is currently 18 weeks. I have 10 weeks or so to go.

I will just have to try and move on from ALS but I find it very difficult especially when my breathing cogs (stutters). Although this does come and go today for example I have had completely normal breathing. My Oxygen level is always 98/99 %.

I am constantly checking tongue and doing various other tests and am drinking far too much.

Again thx for the help.

Mike

Mike, the constant checking does indicate a fair amount of life affecting anxiety. Whether there's an underlying condition or not (but not ALS, it's clear), it would be beneficial to address the anxiety while you search for answers. If there's something there, anxiety symptoms can delay diagnosis, as it muddies the water with regards to teasing out what symptoms can be tied to what.

Please consider finding someone to partner with in therapy while you search for answers.

Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back