Worried about ALS, maybe lingering COVID??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johncool

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wilmington
Hi all.
I am getting nervous I have something serious going on. I am a 31 year old male.I have began having weird symptoms back in August. It started as slight tingling in feet and hands ( I know not a real symptom of ALS). Also legs would feel heavy, weak and slightly sore. Went to doc and everything was normal. This is after a mild case of COVID at end of July.

Soon I noticed typing at work and my hands felt clumsy and typing wasn't crisp as it used to be. I Went back to doc and he referred me to neurologist thinking carpal tunnel.

Neurologist appointment was 10/2 and he performed an EMG on both arms specifically for carpal tunnel. ( would that pick up ALS?) The results were normal. Neurologist said get ALS out of my head. Legs still feel weak heavy and slightly sore at this point too.

Since then I have had fascilacitions. They are in left arm majority, but are in shoulders, right arm, under thumb, thighs, calfs, buttocks, lip, feet abdomen.

Also my arms are now feeling weak, tight and slightly sore.

As I type this, I have weakness in arms and legs and twitching.

My wife thinks I am crazy but I feel like my speaking is clumsy too. Could be mental. Also she thinks I am crazy that my left forearm looks slightly smaller. ( I am right handed.)

Not sure what "persistent twitching" is but my twitching are a short burst in arm. Minutes to hour later short burst again and can be else where or same spot. Sometimes it is a single twinge, not multiple twitches. The twitches seem strong as I feel them every time.

Been testing myself and can still do everything but feel weak.

Bottom line, EMG test was normal 10/2. If tested for carpal tunnel, would it show abnormal for ALS? First symptom was hand related after all. I have read that ALS twitching is almost un noticeable, mine is definitely noticeable, can feel it everytime.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

There is no such thing as "ALS twitching," first off. Twitching without functional impairment is simply meaningless; there is no point in trying to parse what you notice or how strong it is.

Yes, an EMG of any muscles would show abnormalities in ALS, especially but not only where you perceived issues.

Your wife is more objective than you are. And all of us have something that is smaller or larger right or left.

You could have lingering issues from COVID or a different infection. Your internist is best equipped to run your bloodwork and evaluate you to be more certain that you don't need treatment for something. But there is no reason to believe ALS should be a concern.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. Happy New Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back