08/2011
Country
US
State
nebraska
City
omaha
Hi Everyone,
I work every day 10 to 11 hours have forever. my question is should i stop working? My employer said they word do whatever i need to work as long as I'm able. But knowing whats in strore for me just not when. I'm not sure what to do. any advice?

Hi Mike, I think it really depends on what YOU want to do, and what you can afford to do both time-wise and money-wise... if you have a slow progression, keep working until you decide it's time to go. You'll know in your gut when that is. I'm still working 1 1/2 years after my diagnosis but I am self-employed and work out of my house, so no commuting. It also depends on whether you'd like to do some traveling before you can't.

If you do decide to keep working, there are often programs that will assist you in doing so, whether it's customizing your car so you can drive it longer.

It really depends on how fast your progression is, and what your job is.

Good luck!

HelenL,
Thank you. I love to work and my employer is awsume. I just don't want to make this progress any faster than it has to. I realy do'nt walk as much as I did before August and my office is moved so I don't have to climb stairs.
Thank you again

Im am a teacher and love it. I've worked for a year and a half after diagnosis, but promised myself to leave when it was in my best interests and those of my students. The time has come. My voice is gone and it is difficult to manage a classroom. Also, I am finding that I have more time to take really good care of myself and feel stronger, when I am not working. I think your mind and body will tell you when it is time to go. God Bless. Liz

Aré you doing hard physical work. Also keep in mind that your disability wont lucky in TLS 5 months after you stop working. I think you can earn 900 a month during the waiting period

I would probably go crazy if I didn't have anything to do, so base it on your progression, what you'd like to do while still healthy enough to do it, and you'll know when it's time to stop. And keep on the forum for great moral support!

It is such a personal decision, but I can tell you that the stress was so huge for my husband that going on disability was a plus. But, he is a Vet, has good insurance, has health insurance with me, and other factors that certainly helped.

Hi Mike

That has to be your decision. The ALS will let you know. I'd encourage you to cut back on your hours and to enjoy if you can still drive and move your free time.

I was diagnosed in late September and I worked up till mid-October. I had to quit work because my balance had become unstable and I thought driving in to work and walking up a few steps was getting too dangerous. Don't want to scare you but I already had to move into an assisted living home and can no longer drive and am using a walker.

I personally wish I'd gotten the diagnosis sooner so I could quit work and enjoyed the summer. Don't forget it will still take you five months to qualify for Social Security disability. Also in Nebraska I assume you'll be facing winter and slippery roads and walkways at times.

Hope you keep working as long as you wish. Good luck and stay in touch.

I went on disability the week after I was diagnosed in April 2010. I had a very physical job working as a AT&T repairmen, a good old telephone man. I was still climbing poles and ladders right up till I got the news. I had known i had to get out before I hurt myself or someone else. I was not walking very well and my ankle would give out, and foot drop made it difficult to walk and carry ladders and tools across the uneven ground. I had 31 years and wanted to work at least 6 or 7 more years. The desicion for us to get out and go while we could made it an easy desicion. I officially retired in Feburary of this year. It all depends on your own circumstance and desires. Good luck!

sadiemae,
Thank You for the information. I sit at a desk most of the time I do walk in the bakery as mich as I can but I take it easy for the most part.
I didnt know that it took so long to get dissability. So if I work until I cant then 5 months later it kicks in so I have to save 1/2 years wages to enjoy life?

Yes, unless your company has disability insurance , you are out of luck for 6 months (5 mo to qualify + 1 mo to issue check) on social security . I sat down with them while still working so I understood my options. I wish I'd stopped 1-2 months earlier than I did.
Good luck!
Sue

I was laid off the day after my diagnosis due to huge budget cuts. It took 5 + 1 like Sue said. I get my first check Jan 15th.

Susan, since you were laid off, are you able to collect the unemployment during this time? I keep thinking of when I should apply for SSD, but until I sell my darn house, I can't do anything about that... so off to work I go! Which thankfully is in the room I'm sitting in right now.

It is a real tricky situation collecting unemployment while on SSDI. For UE, you have to state that you are ABLE to work, and with SSDI you have to state you are UNABLE to work. They do not cross check all the time, but in my opinion it is not worth getting caught. Mike, you are allowed to earn up to around $900 a month in SGA(Substantial Gainful Income) and still collect SSDI. There is unfortunately no way around this. If you quit work at the end of Dec, your disability waiting period will be Jan to May, eligible in June, first check in July.

In my opinion if you can afford it stop working. I debated it for a while but my wife really convinced me to stop. My energy level increased and I was instanly much less fatigued. I am glad I made the decision.

Besides when it is all said and done I doubt you will ever look back and say I wish I worked longer rather then being home and spending time with my family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back