07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Told my HR Coordinator what's going on.

She was stunned at how matter-of-fact I was.

I guess I am in the "acceptance" stage...

So sorry that you had to tell her the news. Did she act like she'd be supportive? Sending you a hug, Kim

That's a huge step to take, and it is part of the 'acceptance'.

Your workplace will be supportive for you?

So far they seem very supportive. My immediate supervisor already knew, but this was the "official" notification because I have to manage sick leave and such

You are lucky.

Most of the places I work suddenly have no use for anyone who develops an illness/ disease that limits their ability to perform.

it sounds like they will help you through the "transition" you may find yourself surrounded by such supportive people that the words afraid and alone hardly fit

You are lucky.

Most of the places I work suddenly have no use for anyone who develops an illness/ disease that limits their ability to perform.

I'm a teacher at a college that prides itself on technological usage/advances...

I should be able to keep working with some tech aides :)

it sounds like they will help you through the "transition" you may find yourself surrounded by such supportive people that the words afraid and alone hardly fit

You know I pray that's true :)

I'll probably always be afraid though.

the more people you tell the easier it gets.

When my husband first got sick, he wanted to hide his illness from everyone out of fear of rejection. he told people he had Lymes and stopped seeing everyone.

It all seems so silly now--I think you will find understanding and help in your coworkers.

how soon will you be going home? the beginning or the end of December? I would assume after the end of the semester so just before Christmas?

That's a big step but you did it! Hopefully they will provide you with the support you need. Take care. Yasmin.

I don't know howit works in academia,but in the federal government they are required to provide accommodation.
You still have to be able to perform your job, but they must assist you with special gar a workstation and what not.
Most institutions have a stated annual goal in regard to a percentage of disabled workers... So it helps them too.

Good luck, keep that stamina going

I don't know howit works in academia,but in the federal government they are required to provide accommodation.
You still have to be able to perform your job, but they must assist you with special gar a workstation and what not.
Most institutions have a stated annual goal in regard to a percentage of disabled workers... So it helps them too.

Good luck, keep that stamina going

That would be true at least in the States... Not where I am! LOL

and not for people who do physical work.

I felt sorry for the Vietnamese man ( about 60) who just got diagnosed with ALS and attended our support group meeting.
He barely spoke English and worked at a big factory on the assembly line. The day he could not pull the clusters of electrical wires thru the small opening ( due to ALS) he was let go.

Same with the construction worker. Even the beginning symptoms of ALS caused him to have to quit working.

Those of you who do not have physical jobs should be thankful.
ALS is a disease that affects physical laborers hard.

Ask your doctor how soon you can apply for Social Security Disability along with Medicare if retirement is not possible.

I had a hard time telling HR. The emotional side of ALS was really hitting me. I stopped working right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back