Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Montana
City
Helena
Anyone know anything about wood stoves and ALS?

My husband is very interested in purchasing an old, used wood stove and installing it in our livingroom. It would save us money (we're in Montana) and it would definitely make for a warmer, more comfortable house for me - and, for all of us.

My concern is that since ALS affects breathing - would having wood smoke in the house just irritate my lungs? Right now my breathing is fine. I am only about 1 1/2 years into this. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I told my husband this morning he had to wait to install the stove until after I did some research.

Thanks!

We used to have a wood stove but had to get rid of it because of my daughter who has asthma. If properly set up no smoke should get into the house. The problem is the heat is extremely dry.

Kate,

We have a wood stove that we enjoy very much! Like Jeff said, if installed properly, no smoke should be in the house. You will need special piping for the chimney, as a regular fireplace chimney would not be up to code.

The air will be dry, but you can get some nice cast iron "steamers" to put on top of the stove. I saw some in the LL Bean catalog.

We haven't used ours too much this winter. Looks like we're getting summer for Christmas down here in the south!

I love my wood stove but it is dry-even with a steamer pot and a full-house humidifyer going all the time. But you could put it in so see how it works, knowing that even if you end up not useing it you are enhancing the value of your property.

I find I do cough more when I visit friends with wood stoves. No matter how fast you do it when you open the door to put in more wood some gases escape. It might not bother you but it does me. Have you got friends you could visit all day with a stove and see if it bothers you?
AL.

It isn't just the smoke but the dirt when cleaning and bringing in the wood. Ash have fine dirt. Wood is cleaner but dirtier.

I meant warmer not cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back